I want my ex back but he can't forgive me

My ex (M18) and I (F18) were together for 9 months. Majority of our relationship was amazing and we shared so many firsts together. We were serious about each other and we were each other's first love. During our last couple of months, we started getting into more serious fights. We didn't spend as much time together as before because we had other commitments and that put a strain into our relationship too. He started going out with friends to party more and I became a needy, paranoid girlfriend.

I broke it off with him for good because we were being toxic to each other and went no contact with him for a month. During that month, I realized that it wasn't all his fault and that I played a role to our downfall too. I made sure to work on myself and put a new perspective into our relationship. I started slowly contacting him again and told him that I'm sorry for my mistakes. He told me he was sorry too but that he didn't trust me anymore. He also told me that he's not looking to be in a serious relationship but he has started to go out with this girl.

We first started messaging then it progressed into nightly calls. We've been doing this for almost a month now but due to conflicting schedules, we haven't met up in person. Things are light and easy when we call but whenever we approach the topic of getting back together, we can't seem too make it work. He told me that he enjoys my company and that I'm still his best friend but he's still angry and bitter at me because he was so vulnerable to me and I broke things off. I want him back and I am trying to prove that I'll stay and talk things through with him this time. I'm also really scared that things will progress with the girl he has started liking.

I really do believe that things can work out the second time around as now we know the problem. I still love him very much and I'm willing to put in the work to get him back. Any advice on how I can regain his trust and how I can salvage our relationship?

Well, keep doing what you're doing. You're certainly getting close to him again. But you did break it off and so he's leery of getting back together again.

If it helps any, you're both 18 and this is not going to either of yours last relationship.

Sounds like he's moved on and so should you. You're clutching at straws and he's no longer interested in getting back together with you (sorry). Also, he told you he doesn't trust you and without trust, you have nothing. It is best to learn from your mistakes. You're still very young and no doubt will have several more relationships.

Trust is the foundation to any relationship. Without it, you're wasting your time. It doesn't sound like rebuilding trust with you is high on his priority list if he's already seeing another girl.

I know it was your first relationship, which makes it hard to let go of, but it sounds like you broke up with him for good reason. The dynamic between the two of you is toxic. Just because you're in pain now, doesn't mean you should get back together. Stop the nightly calls and work on moving on.

Archived