Do I stick it out and see what happens? or bite the bullet?

Hello, this is going to be a long post, Im so stuck on what to do.

So for the past 3/4 years I have been in and out of university, I have tried Psycholgy and Law.. neither of them I enjoyed. I understand Uni is hard and not everyone enjoys it, but i REALLY REALLY hated those courses I wish I never chose them. I felt at 16 i was pressured too quickly to choose a course so eventually i chose Psychology, I knew i wanted to help people and this seemed like the only way I could because I didnt have anything like science to be able to do anything else.

Anyway.. I left University, I am 23, working for a bank, a pretty good bank with lots of potential for moving up etc.. but Im not sure if this job is for me. It’s a back office job on the phone, not the worst call centre in the world it’s actually such a great company to work for. I started in March, but im already having doubts, I feel like I could end up stuck and bored if i stay here.

I am a bit of an over thinker, so i always think of where I will be when im 40/50/60.. and i just cant see myself working here.

I have always wanted to be a Midwife.. anything to do with pregnancy, babies haha. but I thought because I didnt have science I have no chance of going back to school.. but there is so many options to do it online! I can get the grades I need to go to University to study to be a Midwife, but it’s a long shot at getting a place, and im scared if I wont like it. What if i dont have the confidence?

I will also have to become a student, by the time I am finished I will be 28, so getting a mortgage might become even harder etc.. I dont want to pressure my partner with money worries either, He is a good earner but it would mean paying for the house it might be 60/40 or 70/30 split on bills.

Should I go for it? or should i stick or maybe just look for a different full time job?

I honestly would NEVER study to be a midwife in your situation. You are a bit all over the place. If you were already a nurse, then I would say go for it, but someone's life is in your hands regards to themselves and their baby and if you tend to quit when things become too hard ----.... If you love anything to do with babies, why not go into becoming a nanny, or finding an education path that would able you to work with early childhood education. What degree can you roll all of your miscellaneous classes into, plus a few others, to finish school? Honestly, if you are in a call center, why not find out what business classes you can take to put you in a better position to find a different job at your present company?

I honestly would NEVER study to be a midwife in your situation. You are a bit all over the place. If you were already a nurse, then I would say go for it, but someone's life is in your hands regards to themselves and their baby and if you tend to quit when things become too hard ----.... If you love anything to do with babies, why not go into becoming a nanny, or finding an education path that would able you to work with early childhood education. What degree can you roll all of your miscellaneous classes into, plus a few others, to finish school? Honestly, if you are in a call center, why not find out what business classes you can take to put you in a better position to find a different job at your present company?

I guess that makes sense. I could do something like that.. I just wish i chose a fulfilling career path - something that i can make a difference.

Hmm, I can see why you would be thinking a ton about it. Honestly, if there's anything certain in this situation it's that if you decide to go onto Further Education, you need to do it NOW. As you say, you'll finish at 28, and any longer may cause you problems.

I somewhat know how you feel. I didn't start university until 22, and I'll be 26 by the time I finish. Not the same, but still starting off a career later than many graduates.

I can't decide what you do, but you need to work out if being a midwife is something you DEFINITELY want to do. If it is, goes for it. Ignore your worries and fears and, as good ol' Shia says, JUST DO IT. You'll regret it if you don't.

However, if you're not so certain, then there's no point doing a course that'll make you unhappy. Stick with the job, but be on the look out for something else. :)

Hmm, I can see why you would be thinking a ton about it. Honestly, if there's anything certain in this situation it's that if you decide to go onto Further Education, you need to do it NOW. As you say, you'll finish at 28, and any longer may cause you problems.

I somewhat know how you feel. I didn't start university until 22, and I'll be 26 by the time I finish. Not the same, but still starting off a career later than many graduates.

I can't decide what you do, but you need to work out if being a midwife is something you DEFINITELY want to do. If it is, goes for it. Ignore your worries and fears and, as good ol' Shia says, JUST DO IT. You'll regret it if you don't.

However, if you're not so certain, then there's no point doing a course that'll make you unhappy. Stick with the job, but be on the look out for something else. :)

Thank You! Someone on the same kind of boat haha!

There’s days where im so for it and so ready and eager to learn, but i get put off by the debt i will be in, the money worries etc and if it will be a waste.. So i think maybe i shouldnt?

But i want to get somewhere and you cant usually get a decent job without a degree.. There’s the opportunity to do a degree through my job.. for free aswell but it’s like business or management kind of degree’s. Wondering maybe i should consider that?

I'll share my mini-story, as it might help but things into perspective.

I'd been working the same job in retail for three years, part-time. I'd always thought about teaching but never really had the confidence to do it nor was I sure if it were for me. When I started thinking more about it and approached my parents for their opinion, they were very much against in. I bit the bullet anyway. Soon after that my long term partner broke up with me (with a lot of BS to go with it), and I have severe difficulties with my mental health. I didn't let it stop me, no matter how much I considered cancelling my (accepted) application.

Three years later and I've just graduated with the top degree, have received a ton of condemnations for achievements, and have pretty much eliminated my anxiety. I'm about to start teacher training.

I can't say for sure whether or not it will be the best decision for you. For many, university is a waste of time no matter how much the media would have you believe otherwise. For some it's an extremely stressful time with a whole host of new issues to contend with. For me, it was easily the best decision I made and if it weren't for doing that, I would probably be unemployed right now (the organisation I worked for completely shut down) with all my issues still present.

Personally, I'd go to university less for the degree and more for the time it gives you to grow as an individual. If you're committed to getting the most, then you'll use up some of your free time for extra curricular activities such as volunteering etc. Anything to put on a CV or to improve yourself. The degree is good, and you can learn tons, but really it's more about having a lot of free time and being responsible enough to do something with it. Hell, I hardly went to my lectures!

You can consider those free degrees, but I've never really heard of much coming from qualifications earned through work (other than internal promotions) and I've heard a few bad things about Business Management degrees.

Hope this helps. Ultimately the decision comes down to you, but if I were you I'd focus more on what you want to do in life and feck money and other concerns. You only live once, as far as I'm concerned! :)

I'm actually in nursing school. I'm not going to be one to shoot down your dreams but I'm going to tell you my experiences.

I study for about 8 hours or more EVERYDAY. I have notes in my hand at all times. I get about 3-5 hours of sleep. I cried every day for 2 weeks straight once nursing school started because of how hard.

We get assigned to chapters that are about 40 pages long. Every week we have quizzes and tests. We have a ton of assignments and papers.

Your test grade average is very important because if you don't pull off a 75, 78, or 80 average depedening on your school you failed the course. After you reach the test average THEN your homework and quizzes are added in.

I don't know if you have children but I hear from my other classmates that it's extremely hard to find time to study.

You're also only allowed to fail 2 courses.

Advice:

Your prerequisites are SO SO SO SO important. Schools won't even look at you unless GPA is at least a 3.3- 3.5 gpa. You can get around this by scoring a 85+ on your TEAS(test you have to take before they accept you) but that's very unlikly. The national average on TEAS is about a 77.

Also here a website. http://allnurses.com/ you can read about other experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiK6_eFh2fGMVBnfSHQql1w I also listen to this girl before I started nursing school. It really helped.

I'll share my mini-story, as it might help but things into perspective.

I'd been working the same job in retail for three years, part-time. I'd always thought about teaching but never really had the confidence to do it nor was I sure if it were for me. When I started thinking more about it and approached my parents for their opinion, they were very much against in. I bit the bullet anyway. Soon after that my long term partner broke up with me (with a lot of BS to go with it), and I have severe difficulties with my mental health. I didn't let it stop me, no matter how much I considered cancelling my (accepted) application.

Three years later and I've just graduated with the top degree, have received a ton of condemnations for achievements, and have pretty much eliminated my anxiety. I'm about to start teacher training.

I can't say for sure whether or not it will be the best decision for you. For many, university is a waste of time no matter how much the media would have you believe otherwise. For some it's an extremely stressful time with a whole host of new issues to contend with. For me, it was easily the best decision I made and if it weren't for doing that, I would probably be unemployed right now (the organisation I worked for completely shut down) with all my issues still present.

Personally, I'd go to university less for the degree and more for the time it gives you to grow as an individual. If you're committed to getting the most, then you'll use up some of your free time for extra curricular activities such as volunteering etc. Anything to put on a CV or to improve yourself. The degree is good, and you can learn tons, but really it's more about having a lot of free time and being responsible enough to do something with it. Hell, I hardly went to my lectures!

You can consider those free degrees, but I've never really heard of much coming from qualifications earned through work (other than internal promotions) and I've heard a few bad things about Business Management degrees.

Hope this helps. Ultimately the decision comes down to you, but if I were you I'd focus more on what you want to do in life and feck money and other concerns. You only live once, as far as I'm concerned! :)

Waow that’s so awesome! You should be really proud of yourself! it shows parents arent always right!

I to suffer from really bad anxiety and depression was a part of why i never completed Uni before.. i lost a close friend during that time as well.

I think il consider other options first maybe, see what else there is before making any rational decision just yet.. work is quite good if i ask for advice/help then they give it.

Thank you so much tho for your advice i really appreciate it! and good luck!!! :)

I'm actually in nursing school. I'm not going to be one to shoot down your dreams but I'm going to tell you my experiences.

I study for about 8 hours or more EVERYDAY. I have notes in my hand at all times. I get about 3-5 hours of sleep. I cried every day for 2 weeks straight once nursing school started because of how hard.

We get assigned to chapters that are about 40 pages long. Every week we have quizzes and tests. We have a ton of assignments and papers.

Your test grade average is very important because if you don't pull off a 75, 78, or 80 average depedening on your school you failed the course. After you reach the test average THEN your homework and quizzes are added in.

I don't know if you have children but I hear from my other classmates that it's extremely hard to find time to study.

You're also only allowed to fail 2 courses.

Advice:

Your prerequisites are SO SO SO SO important. Schools won't even look at you unless GPA is at least a 3.3- 3.5 gpa. You can get around this by scoring a 85+ on your TEAS(test you have to take before they accept you) but that's very unlikly. The national average on TEAS is about a 77.

Also here a website. http://allnurses.com/ you can read about other experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiK6_eFh2fGMVBnfSHQql1w I also listen to this girl before I started nursing school. It really helped.

Wow thank you! It does give a lot to think about! il take everything into consideration and definitely look at those websites :)

Why not do both - study and work?

I know several people who have worked full-time and studied part-time. Some took night classes, others did their courses on-line. There are also others who studied during the day and worked afternoons / weekends. Part-time enabled them to study at their own pace.

Also, you are never too old to study. A girl I know went to uni in her 40's. Another decided to change careers and started classes again in her 30's.

As for not being sure on what to study: Some Uni's have a shopping week where you get to try out as many courses as you can for free. Volunteering is also a great way to try out an area that you like. E.g.: Maybe there is a children's reading group at a library or something similar you can help out at? That way you'll find out if you like working with children, etc.

I wish you all the best!

I'd consider taking a volunteer or part time job as a nurse's aide or assistant to learn the ins and outs of patient care and whether it motivates you, or not. Whether you learn that you love it or hate it, the experience will pay off long before you've invested a dime in any program that involves patient care of any kind.

Head high.

Archived