Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Having Expectations and Dissapointment

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by saluk
    Yes it's like love languages. If your love language is touch, and you go up and give someone a big bear hug, and they give you a mild squeeze back, you are going to be disappointed because you didn't realize beforehand that you might not share the same language. If you continue to try and give them bear hugs and only get light squeezes in return, you are going to keep being disappointed until you realize that they show their love in other ways. You decide to either appreciate the way that they can show it, or decide that your languages are too incompatible and you need someone who can return the bear hug with the same amount of enthusiasm.

These people don't care as much about dress color as you do. Unless you are directly sending them on a mission that day to get you a specific kind of dress, and make that clear, you are going to get what you get - the dress they thought you would look good in.
    But is it really a love language to say "the way I expect to receive love is for you to select the particular type of gift I want when I tell the what gift I want you to get me and if not I won't believe you love me" - doesn't sound like a love language to me.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    But is it really a love language to say "the way I expect to receive love is for you to select the particular type of gift I want when I tell the what gift I want you to get me and if not I won't believe you love me" - doesn't sound like a love language to me.
    Haha. Well I was saying it's similar not that it is one. But who knows, maybe we have discovered a new one!

That and 'Can Read Minds'...lol
    But who knows, maybe we have discovered a new one!

Platinum Member
    Haha. Well I was saying it's similar not that it is one. But who knows, maybe we have discovered a new one!
    I think it's a bad idea to use the word "love" to describe what she says she expects from another person. If that is her "language", her "MO" then she can find a person who is very focused about making sure that what he does and gets for his partner is precisely what she asked for and to keep track of what those items and services are (and keep photos on his phone as needed). Typically that person will be insecure so that is the downside but she'll get her upside.

I'd never want to discover a new love language that involved what she is referring to.

6. 08-03-2018, 07:29 AM

Bronze Member
    Ok I think I get this more than others do, and I think itís fair to be disappointed in these situations. It is not a childish ďI didnít get what I wantĒ sentiment (you have your own money and can go buy your own things.) Itís more about being saddened that the giver didnít listen or care about your preferences, didnít ďknow youĒ or ďget you,Ē didnít want to make the experience special for you, kinda like they just wanted credit and to be thanked, or they wanted convenience and just ran in the store and got whatever they saw first as though to check off the box that they did it, but didnít really want to invest the time into honoring your preferences.

To the extent this relates to physical gifts, Iíve suggested to said givers that perhaps we donít exchange gifts but just agree to get together during the holiday season or for our birthdays. This has helped to stave off those feelings; and an unintended consequence is a simpler life with less clutter in my home, less obligation in my life.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Videos

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity

Most Women Rather Not Date Unemployed Men
Give Advice
Ask For Advice