Jaki987

Hello,

This month I accidentally missed ~3 birth control pills in a row during the 1st/2nd week of my pack. I started to experience light breakthrough bleeding a few days before my period was due (around the 3rd, I was expecting my period between the 5th-11th but it still hasn’t come yet. I have been nauseous for the past few mornings and threw up on 2 occasions, I have been more tired than usual despite sleeping a normal amount, my breasts are swollen and my nipples/areola have darkened, I’ve had a decreased appetite and an increased need to urinate. I decided to take a pregnancy test at home on the 9th and the result came back negative, but considering that I still haven’t gotten my period and am expected to start taking my pills again tonight I was wondering if the test was wrong or whether it’s due to something else and if I should take my pills or not? I’m still experiencing breakthrough bleeding (about 5-10 drops of dark blood), nausea, bloating, fatigue and a sensitivity to certain food smells. I was curious if any of you have had a similar experience and what you think could be the cause (is it something serious I should see my doctor about?) Thank you!

Well, technically, most pregnancy tests aren't accurate until a week or two after your missed period, so that would be tomorrow or so. Take another pregnancy test in a couple of days.

Do you remember when you last had unprotected sex? Did you have it between June 30 and July 4? That would have been when you would have been most fertile.

Chances are, you still had enough estrogen in your system to protect you, but you should have called your doctor when you missed the pills. He/she would have told you how to take extra pills to make up for the missed ones.

You may be talking yourself into having pregnancy symptoms, so calm down. Certainly you can set up an appointment with the doc to figure out why you're spotting.

Have you ever had irregular periods of missed periods before? It could be a reaction to missing the pills. Sometimes the doctor has you restart a new pack when you've missed taking some pills.

So like I said, calm down. Try to relax. You should know in a few days if you're pregnant or not.

Well, technically, most pregnancy tests aren't accurate until a week or two after your missed period, so that would be tomorrow or so. Take another pregnancy test in a couple of days.

Do you remember when you last had unprotected sex? Did you have it between June 30 and July 4? That would have been when you would have been most fertile.

Chances are, you still had enough estrogen in your system to protect you, but you should have called your doctor when you missed the pills. He/she would have told you how to take extra pills to make up for the missed ones.

You may be talking yourself into having pregnancy symptoms, so calm down. Certainly you can set up an appointment with the doc to figure out why you're spotting.

Have you ever had irregular periods of missed periods before? It could be a reaction to missing the pills. Sometimes the doctor has you restart a new pack when you've missed taking some pills.

So like I said, calm down. Try to relax. You should know in a few days if you're pregnant or not.

Tests today are pretty accurate. I have had an accurate test 4 days before my period was due. Even 21 years ago my dr’s office said if I had a positive result I was pregnant and they did not need a blood test , congrats.

Tests today are pretty accurate. I have had an accurate test 4 days before my period was due. Even 21 years ago my dr’s office said if I had a positive result I was pregnant and they did not need a blood test , congrats.

Same, bold pink line a week before my missed period.

* 5 day week, not 7, sorry if misleading.

Same, bold pink line a week before my missed period.

* 5 day week, not 7, sorry if misleading.

Yup, I was pregnant 5 times and the test was never wrong. The only time I tested after my period was due was the first time I was ever pregnant because well because it was the first time I was ever pregnant . I think I tested 2 days after.

You’re asking a medical question from people who aren’t licensed physicians.

I have been nauseous for the past few mornings and threw up on 2 occasions, I have been more tired than usual despite sleeping a normal amount, my breasts are swollen and my nipples/areola have darkened, I’ve had a decreased appetite and an increased need to urinate.

You don’t get all of these side effects in a one month go of being pregnant. I had food aversion the second month of my first trimester. My nipples darkened during my second trimester. And increased urinating typically happens during the third trimester when the fetus is sitting right on your bladder (and it sucks).

You are on hormone medication and it will jack up your system. Or there are other things going on that may not even be related that are causing these reactions. Again you need to consult with your doctor.

My pregnancy test told me I was pregnant on the predicted date of my next period. And this was for my current pregnancy. The test was cheap off of Amazon. Many tests are becoming accurate, even the inexpensive ones. The OP needs to see a doctor right away.

Archived