My brother is coming to visit, I'm worried?

thorough

I have gotten closer w/my brother, but there are still quite a few issues. When he comes to visit, he is ALWAYS putting me down for no reason whatsoever. Always questioning my life habits, dreams aspirations etc. Not in a loving helpful type of way, but pretty much tearing me down. Idk what is and the reason cannot be jealousy. He has always been better then me at everything: sports, has a ton friends and has a much higher education. I suffer from serious low self esteem and this really affects me, no one else understands how I feel w/this situation. Does he get some sort of ego boost doing this to me? Btw I never pick on him unless its in retaliation for what he says.

Yeah, some brothers will pick on their sisters, and some people will pick on people if they can get a reaction out of them. I would say that if you stop reacting to whatever he says and look bored at him, he will stop. Or pick on him back. One way to possibly stop being picked on is to simply ask, why do you always pick on me? You know it makes me feel bad. Just keep telling him to stop and ask why is he picking on you. Tell him you won't invite him anymore if he keeps it up.

Yeah, some brothers will pick on their sisters, and some people will pick on people if they can get a reaction out of them. I would say that if you stop reacting to whatever he says and look bored at him, he will stop. Or pick on him back. One way to possibly stop being picked on is to simply ask, why do you always pick on me? You know it makes me feel bad. Just keep telling him to stop and ask why is he picking on you. Tell him you won't invite him anymore if he keeps it up.

One time I started ignoring him in the car when he started tearing me down. He really drove the point home that when we got to our destination, I could barely keep my tears down as I ran to the back where no one could see me. I'll try and ignore him, but idk how that'll work.

Archived