I have been seeing my boyfriend for 2 months now. He had to travel to Spain for family business 2 weeks ago and on Saturday evening he met his ex at a dance classe. They broke up late 2015 after a- 4 months passionate long distance relationship. He broke up with her due to her behaviour and the fact that she wanted him to move in to Spain , which wasn't possible for him as he has a child and she was aware of his circumstances. He changed his phone number and never spoke with her since the break up. When he went back, as he was contacting his local friends to find the best dance class to attend, she heard from the grapevines he was in town and asked for his number via a common friend. My boyfriend refused but she managed to find out which venue he went. Cut story short, when she saw him she apparently apologised for what had happened, said that she changed and that surprised him. He felt off guard. He described her to me as being a spoilt person always getting what she wanted, and I assume this is what may have pushed him to break up with her. He told her they would never go back together and that he was seeing someone. Her response was she was there first….clearly she hasn't changed. However something sparked in him that evening, they danced together which I told him was a bad judgment of him knowing she wanted him back. He left with mixed feelings thinking he could shake them off on Sunday, but hasn't been able to do so and he feels he still loves her and misses her., unfinished business somehow. Honesty has always prevailed between us, but this has come from nowhere. He still says he doesn't want her back and has cut any contact, but he needs time to come back without strings and understand why these feelings have returned (he dated other women after her but never had this). He feels as if he is cheating on my by thinking about her. I told him I didn't want to give up on us because of a ghost from the past. He says he have a lot in common, he thinks about me, likes me and enjoys my company but he doesn't know how to handle these feelings flooding back. I told him I would wait and give him space. He said he wants to keep in touch but not the frequent texts that we had. What should I do ? Am I too optimistic thinking common sense will prevail

Either way he wants to break up and demote you to friend or fwb. Why hang out with someone who is still in love with someone else? Where is the self respect?

he needs time to come back without strings and understand why these feelings have returned He feels as if he is cheating on my by thinking about her. He said he wants to keep in touch but not the frequent texts that we had.

Bottom line: this guy is too confused and emotionally wobbly to be in a relationship, and he's let you know that in words and actions. Maybe that changes in two weeks, maybe in two years. But all you can do is let him go and move on. If it's meant to come around it will, but not if you're trying to force/control the situation but waiting for a set outcome.

You only dated this guy for two months, and all of this.

Do not ever wait for someone to choose you. He told you that he still loves her. This is all you need to know. Plus, he tossed you to the side.

Block and delete this guy. Find someone who is available. By staying in touch you are showing that you do not have self respect and accept being treated as a doormat. I'm certain it will be a lot of fun hearing him talk about her , and using you as his counselor.

Expect more for yourself.

I agree, the comments helped me see clearer now thank you. I will move on and not look back as there is no guarantee he will ever forget her.

To cover the other comments, he asked me for some space and to do the right thing for me, I am the one who wrongly wanted to keep him and salvage something that can't be. So he had or has no intention to just hook up, it's just not his style or his personality.

Archived