Heat wave 33 people in Quebec have died

That's awful!

I live in a place (in California) where it gets to that temperature or close to it a few times every summer, and some weeks in July/August we have 4-5 days in a row where it's over 100 degrees F, but we know it's coming -- it does every year -- so most people are prepared for it (or as prepared as you can be!) We all have air conditioning in my area -- I don't know how people here would survive the summer without it -- but I know a lot of people in many areas don't have it simply because there is rarely a need for it. It sounds like from what I read this heatwave was totally unexpected and that it hasn't happened in a LONG time there, so I can see why people weren't prepared. :( And, people with existing medical issues and elderly people are really at risk. It's so sad. I hope it lets up soon and that everyone stays safe!

We just had the coldest July 4 here that I think we've ever had in the 24 years I've lived in my city -- it barely hit 80 F here yesterday. Five years ago, on this same date (according to one of my old Facebook posts), it was 108. Here, at least, it's dry heat, so we don't have the added issue of humidity making it 1000 times worse. We have a lot of homeless people here, and I worry about them -- more so in the summer than winter because it really doesn't get all that cold here, even in December/January. The only saving grace is that we have a TON of huge trees -- lots of shade -- and water.

That's awful!

I live in a place (in California) where it gets to that temperature or close to it a few times every summer, and some weeks in July/August we have 4-5 days in a row where it's over 100 degrees F, but we know it's coming -- it does every year -- so most people are prepared for it (or as prepared as you can be!) We all have air conditioning in my area -- I don't know how people here would survive the summer without it -- but I know a lot of people in many areas don't have it simply because there is rarely a need for it. It sounds like from what I read this heatwave was totally unexpected and that it hasn't happened in a LONG time there, so I can see why people weren't prepared. :( And, people with existing medical issues and elderly people are really at risk. It's so sad. I hope it lets up soon and that everyone stays safe!

We normally require AC due to humidity but unfortunately older apartment buildings don’t have it and you have to provide your own via window air conditioner . And you are right most who have died are older and have physical and mental health conditions that have precluded them from getting the help they need . :( it is normally pretty warm in this area in the summer but not this extreme . Hopefully we should get a break in the next few days .

We normally require AC due to humidity but unfortunately older apartment buildings don’t have it and you have to provide your own via window air conditioner . And you are right most who have died are older and have physical and mental health conditions that have precluded them from getting the help they need . :( it is normally pretty warm in this area in the summer but not this extreme . Hopefully we should get a break in the next few days .

This happens in NYC every year. I say go to the mall and hang out there if you don't have AC or a Walmart...most are open 24/7

Sorry to rub it in but it's been unusually humid here in Vancouver, but still pleasant.

I used to live in Vancouver in the 70’s and 80’s it was fabulous back then no AC necessary. Now, might be different. But here in East it’s ridiculously hot from Ontario through to the Maritimes .

This happens in NYC every year. I say go to the mall and hang out there if you don't have AC or a Walmart...most are open 24/7

Not in this town. Our Walmart closes at 10. I have AC but the people dying are mostly older people with health and mental health issues that don’t even know they should be going somewhere to get help . That’s the unfortunate part . And the paramedics and hospitals are stretched to their limit .

It sucks because it's most likely the humidity doing it. My Old Lady's from AZ, and the elderly typically get by fine even when it's 100 - 110s / 40s. Here in NYC, it's been relatively "mild," mid-80s / 38-40ish, but this humidity was lingering for awhile at 80%+. I've got AC running upstairs and a dehumidifier I've been emptying 4x a day downstairs, so it hasn't hit me in any big way other than I'm sure the power bill. But I'm feeling for a lot of the elderly folks living five, six stories high in these old buildings. Hell, I feel bad for a young and healthy person dealing with that.

Very fortunate to live in a neighborhood that's extremely community oriented. You'll occasionally hear people yelling up to windows of older people they know just to check they're in there okay.

It sucks because it's most likely the humidity doing it. My Old Lady's from AZ, and the elderly typically get by fine even when it's 100 - 110s / 40s. Here in NYC, it's been relatively "mild," mid-80s / 38-40ish, but this humidity was lingering for awhile at 80%+. I've got AC running upstairs and a dehumidifier I've been emptying 4x a day downstairs, so it hasn't hit me in any big way other than I'm sure the power bill. But I'm feeling for a lot of the elderly folks living five, six stories high in these old buildings. Hell, I feel bad for a young and healthy person dealing with that.

Very fortunate to live in a neighborhood that's extremely community oriented. You'll occasionally hear people yelling up to windows of older people they know just to check they're in there okay.

Exactly it is all the old high rises that don’t have air and older people on upper floors. I even called my dad today as lovely an experience that was ( not) just make sure he was OK . He lives in a city run building that has no air . He has one window AC my dad is pretty physically disabled after 10 strokes and on dialysis .

I was on a day trip yesterday where somebody passed out cold and did a face plant . Let’s keep drinking water people and try and stay cool .

Yes it’s the humidity that kills .

Exactly it is all the old high rises that don’t have air and older people on upper floors. I even called my dad today as lovely an experience that was ( not) just make sure he was OK . He lives in a city run building that has no air . He has one window AC my dad is pretty physically disabled after 10 strokes and on dialysis .

I was on a day trip yesterday where somebody passed out cold and did a face plant . Let’s keep drinking water people and try and stay cool .

Yes it’s the humidity that kills .

Good lord!

Archived