Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does love exist?

True. I guess it was more of a philosophical question. I would not settle for that treatment and would rather be alone - thatís why I just left my last relationship. But I found it shocking thst a lot of my friends think this behaviour is okay - and they are good people. So - I just wanted to hear from some people who had long term relationships that have been successful and respectful - replace the negative with the positive.

Some people think "keeping" a man is the utmost priority. So they put up with all kinds of BS just so they can say they have a boyfriend.

Originally Posted by Kitkat666
    How many people actually have a supportive, good long term relationship? Do they exist?
    I do.

Yes, this type of relationship absolutely does exist. Hold out for it.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    I do.

Yes, this type of relationship absolutely does exist. Hold out for it.
    Ditto. Like Seraphim and melancholy123, over 30 years. I know many many many couples who are happily married well over 30 years. Of course love exists.

A lot of people normalize abuse. It's startlingly common for abusers to think their behavior is completely acceptable and justified. Kudos to you for recognizing when someone is not treating you well, despite your friends' misguided opinions.

True. I guess it was more of a philosophical question. I would not settle for that treatment and would rather be alone - thatís why I just left my last relationship. But I found it shocking thst a lot of my friends think this behaviour is okay - and they are good people. So - I just wanted to hear from some people who had long term relationships that have been successful and respectful - replace the negative with the positive.
    Since nobody else is living your love life FOR you, nobody else gets a vote.

Set your bar high with clarity about what you want, and date ONLY people who are equally as clear about what they want and who want the same things. Otherwise, you'll open yourself to flakes and predators while pretending to be okay with not honoring what you want. That's how people gaslight themselves and start turning pretzels to conform to other people's garbage.

Skip that, and head high. Remain a model of self respect to those who believe that settling for mistreatment is 'normal,' and you will thank yourself later.

Thanks everyone! Again - I appreciate it!

Platinum Member
    Thanks everyone! Again - I appreciate it!
    Iím glad you have that attitude and I wish you all the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice