So basically i met this guy when i was around 16 years old and we 'dated' on and off for roughly two years.

It has been 4 years since stopping the relationship between me and him and i still have such strong feelings towards him....every guy i have dated since i can't help but compare to him and he is constantly on my mind and it is driving me crazy!

Things were good between the both of us when we were dating and he never once said anything to make me feel bad about myself but the only reason why it did not go further between the both of us was because he felt like he was too young to have a relationship with me and that University would get in the way of a relationship progressing and i couldn't carry on dating him knowing it was not going to go any further.

A few months after not speaking he got into a relationship with another girl which only just ended a few months ago! during the start of his relationship he blocked me on everything even though we had no communication between the both of us for about two years and after splitting with her he unblocks me and adds me back on all social media sites straight away which has confused the hell out of me... does that mean he still likes me and regrets his decision or am i just overthinking? He even likes the majority of my posts as soon as i post them! (i just don't understand how a mans brain works!)

I need advice as a part of me feels that i need proper closure as i am always hoping that we can try again and possibly make it work now that we are both older. Do i message him and tell him how i feel or will that make me look like a crazy women? Would it be a good idea that i get him to tell me how he really feels so that i can finally move on?

I think we need more background.

First off why did you two split?

Second, you got proper closure when the relationship ended years ago. Your decision to hold on even through other relationships was yours.

Third, just because he's liking your statuses doesn't mean he's secretly pining for you. Doesn't mean he's not it's just really not the best indicator. Your best indicator is going to be him, not his social media.

Men don't think like women and young women don't think like older women and no two people think alike. 😉

Start up a conversation and ask him for coffee, rip the bandaid off, you've wasted a lot of years of the feelings aren't mutual the sooner you know the better.

Don't know why you're confused. Your guy did exactly what we recommend on ENA. You broke up and he went No Contact because continuing to talk to you would just keep reopening that old wound. And while he was dating, it would not be appropriate to be in contact with you. Now that he's not going with anyone, he's contacted you again to see if you were serious about maybe getting back together now that some time has passed. The ball is now in your court. It's obvious he likes you. Go out for coffee and have a talk.

He did the right thing by dropping you on social media when he was in a relationship. Your relationship was too fresh and too recent in the background to keep you on as a friend on social media. You were a big impact on his life, so once his relationship broke up, he was free to put you back on and see what's going on in your life. The older you get, the less this is an issue, as the past goes further into the past, even with young love, unless the other person is still pining. You have your high school FB friends...even if you never really talk or see each other outside of reunions. It's far enough in the past, an old high school flame is a non-issue...but in your situation, it was all still very recent...and appropriate to sever this tie. He was probably hurting too...and smart about the idea that at such a young age, you have no idea the paths you'll be taking and the distance. You both seemed to agree on this fact, though in different ways.

He seems interested in you still, and if you are both in a place that your lives and futures are more stable, reach out to him. Ask him how he's doing. Maybe everything is still unsure about future, still in school, no idea where the job prospects will take you...and here, there are difficult choices. Can you be a friend only? Can you embark on a romantic relationship that is more "casual," as he or you may ultimately move to far-off places after graduation? Can you sustain a LDR? Have you changed enough in the past 4 years that you are no longer the same people/same compatibility? Just enjoy your "high school reunion" connection on social media and leave the past in the past? Touch base via messenger once in awhile? I don't know, OP, but you clearly haven't let go, and I think you need to.

The first love is a doozy and a tough one to let go of. I didn't have social media clogging my life when it happened to me, but when I saw him at the grocery store that one time? Oooh, man, what a mess of emotions...even after I had accepted the demise of the relationship (heavy resistance)...very hard. When it's "in your face" all the time in social media...I don't know...I think staying separated personally and socially is the best route, but that's not where you are...I don't know how to resolve the conflict of emotions on this one.

Archived