Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ARE YOU SUICIDAL? if so, what do you want them to say?

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    You continuously critique others to read your posts closer.

Go back and read my post closer and see if it answers your question.
    Yes, I read the bit about "not saying you do that", but since you mentioned about people not wanting to hang out etc, I thought you were applying it to my circumstances. :)

Platinum Member
    Suicide does not relieve your pain - it only passes the pain on to others - your family and other loved ones. I don't care if that is emotional blackmail if it prevents someone from taking their life. There are many people who with psychiatric help or even medical help who do turn themselves around. Maybe it involves a loved one stepping in and committing them or taking them into their home to keep watch. There are people who are suicidal because the drugs they are taking influences their thoughts as well.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    I was suicidal for 35 years. I am no longer. It is something i almost never talked about to anyone. Life gets better. I am glad I am here .
    Well we are glad you're still here too!

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by RobertMundan
    Well we are glad you're still here too!
    Thanks! I am glad to be out the other side. 😀 It took a lot of work on my end and people loving me regardless and me learning to appreciate myself. I will forever thank 2 counsellors who literally saved my life in 2012/13.

Bronze Member
    The last thing I want to hear is "Don't do it" or "it's the cowardly way out". Especially if they don't even want to hear why. I wish I had someone, anyone, in my life who would just say "it's okay I'll take the wheel for now
    I first tried to commit suicide when I was 10. I'm now 33 and have attempted it more times than I can remember. I wake up everyday sad that I have yo go another 24 hrs. I now hate myself for not having the courage to use a gun. I'm not living, I'm just existing. Sorry to be such a downer.

Well according to this site it's emotional blackmail for even talking about my thoughts of suicide, so may as well have kept my mouth shut and suffered in silence.
    I absolutely agree with this. There are far too many people on here thinking that it's fine to accuse someone who is talking suicide of just being manipulative.
    For what it's worth, if someone is even mentioning the word suicide, you can bet they are in a great deal of pain. Someone who is healthy and okay would not be talking suicide.
    I think people need to change the record, stop putting those down who say they feel like committing suicide or are want to.

Firstly the wrong thing to say is that they are selfish.As mentioned by SGH, that person is suffering and suffering so badly that they do not want to be alive anymore.
    That is an incredible amount of pain.
    They want relief, and all they can see in that moment is to find relief in death. But the majority of people don't want to die, what they want is for the pain to go away and to have a happy life.
    The people who tell them they are selfish, are not understanding at all.
    That person who is suffering to that degree, needs help, needs compassion, needs empathy, understanding and support.

The brain is a body part. Is it no different than any other part of the body. If someone's body is injured is in serious pain or is diseased, you don't give them heck for it, do you?
    You have compassion, you try to understand, you try to help.
    It is no different when the brain is not functioning properly and is causing suffering.
    That person needs to find ways to heal and they need help and support.

To say that they are only looking for attention or emotionally black mailing people, is again, the absolutely wrong thing to say. This person is suffering and suffering badly.
    They are asking for help, wanting help, wanting someone to see their pain and care.
    They also need hope, sometimes hope can come in the form of another person being there and listening to them, genuinely caring and being a support for them

What would I want someone to say if I ever found myself feeling this bad?
    I would want someone to say, I am here, tell me why you're in so much pain, what can I do to help? I care.

Kyvish, you're not a downer, your pain is real and it does matter.

Do you know where the source of your depression is coming from? Have you ever sought out therapy/counselling? Medications?

Bronze Member
    Yeah I was on medication and therapy for the last 7 years, then I got laid off and lost my insurance. The job market where I live is bleak. I've had to cash in my 401k and I'll be lucky to make it to Christmas. My therapist won't see me with Medicaid and Medicaid does not cover prescriptions.

"No judgements" "I'm here to listen."

After losing my sibling to suicide.

I wake up every single day wishing I didn't. If only somebody would start asking questions instead of jumping to conclusions like:

"Oh, he/she is suicidal so he must be another one of those."

and then say he or she is being selfish, or lecture how suicide is not a solution. A suicidal person knows very well what the consequences are. A suicidal person knows very well that it's not the best solution but it's the last resort. It seems that being suicidal is another box to check and determine how to treat someone:

"Oh, he/she is suicidal so then I must say this or do that."

And even trained police negotiators work this way (sure, they have to). The truth is, every person is different. People would much rather pretend to understand what's going on by giving the best advice they got, instead of asking the best questions. WHICH IS NOT WRONG, THE INTENTIONS ARE GOOD!!! I just think we all are self-ish to some extend really. We want our self to feel good.

In fact many suicidal people are actually deeply loving and caring. Because of that they feel alone. People who are giving advice to a suicidal simply remind him or her of how selfish the world is. This is why most of them need therapy! It's because a therapist does ask questions. Although it may or may not be because they're genuinely interested, rather because they are trained to, at the very least they do.

The solution? Not sure. Everyone is different and has different reasons but we all have one thing in common: we want to feel understood. With this post I hope to contribute to understanding for suicidal people.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice