Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ARE YOU SUICIDAL? if so, what do you want them to say?

Originally Posted by chie83
    I recently told my ex... Suicide is selfish because it hurts the people you leave behind, but I am not saying I don't understand it. Tomorrow is always another chance to make things better...
    Well telling someone that suicide is selfish is absolutely not helpful!!!

I'm glad this thread is here as most people just do not want to deal with the topic yet it should be brought more to light. It's when you feel isolated or have noone to talk to about it is when the danger ramps up...

I watched some videos on YT on people who had bridge jumped and survived, and they basically said that as soon as they let go of the railing they regretted their decision.

I've been very close a few times in the last few months and what I've found is that even when your on your way, halfway through the attempt, there is still a deep seated instinct that wants to keep you alive...and a lot of the time, does....

Apparently only about 1 in 20 attempts is successful....and someone succeeds every 1 minute somewhere in the world...

Sadly it's something that seems to be on the rise too*

This is an excellent topic and the title is asking a very good question. For those of you who have been there - what do you want for people to say to you?

Originally Posted by ApocalypseDreams
    ^This is great.

SUICIDE. IS. NOT. SELFISH. Anyone who says so has not truly been there and is just adding to the stigma around suicide that stops people being more open about their feelings and asking for help.
    Having personally known a couple people who committed suicide and seeing the aftermath. . I believe it is selfish.
    Not to minimize the pain they must be suffering. If you are human you have had those low times. Some more than others.

I can't imagine how low you have to go and for how long until you get to the point you feel this is your last option. It must be a pain that we can't even fathom. It's very sad.

But those left behind not only grieve the profound loss, they personalize it. What did they do? What could they have done differently? The questions are endless.

They feel a sense of responsibility and guilt for the person having had made that choice. If the loss wasn't difficult enough to deal with, to some degree those left behind never forgive themselves for that persons choice.

stops people being more open about their feelings and asking for help
    - But have taken your life the opportunity to help someone has passed. I think some people have an understanding of how it impacts those left behind and they think twice before doing it and seek help because of it.

But to answer the question. . I agree with asking them why and going from there. It's basic human nature to want to heard and understood.
    Last edited by reinventmyself; 06-29-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Well according to this site it's emotional blackmail for even talking about my thoughts of suicide, so may as well have kept my mouth shut and suffered in silence.

Some people just lack the compassion and comprehension to understand the complexities of what it's like to be in that situation.

And this is coming from someone who had an ex-partner hang suicide over his head for years, if he ever left her.

It's not emotional blackmail to discuss feelings of suicide. It's emotional blackmail to threaten suicide when someone wants to end a relationship with you, even if in that moment you truly feel you have nothing to live for. People have a right to end romantic involvements despite how the other person copes with the decision. Most people who breakup with a partner still care about the person deeply and would be absolutely destroyed by their ex-partner taking their life in grief.

With the exception of the above situation, it's important to reach out to a trusted support (if one is available). It is my experience that most people find the topic of suicide profoundly uncomfortable, which is why it must be talked about. It is sadly quite common to experience suicidal thoughts, and if society stopped stigmatizing the experience, more individuals would get the support they need.

Originally Posted by SGH
    It's not emotional blackmail to discuss feelings of suicide.
    Agreed, except I've been told otherwise here when I've tried seeking support.

Originally Posted by SGH
    It's emotional blackmail to threaten suicide when someone wants to end a relationship with you...
    Agreed. As I said, I've been on the receiving end.

Originally Posted by LightWave93
    Agreed, except I've been told otherwise here when I've tried seeking support.

Agreed. As I said, I've been on the receiving end.
    Itís emotional blackmail to discuss suicide, IMO, if you bring it up when someone doesnít want to hang out with you or do something you want to do. If you mention it in order to change the outcome, thatís emotional blackmail.

Iím not saying you do that, by the way. Just giving my two cents.

I agree with Kat. Your life appears to be balanced on the surface which, in my inexperienced opinion, makes me think chemical imbalance.

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Itís emotional blackmail to discuss suicide, IMO, if you bring it up when someone doesnít want to hang out with you or do something you want to do.
    I have never done that in my life!!! Is that what people read into through my posts?!

Originally Posted by LightWave93
    I have never done that in my life!!! Is that what people read into through my posts?!
    You continuously critique others to read your posts closer.

Go back and read my post closer and see if it answers your question.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice