A week before menstrual cycle

I have been noticing this weekly pattern that seems to be getting worse right before a new period comes. Yes it’s probably PMS, but it’s becoming severe that’s it’s affecting my relationship with my boyfriend. I get these crazy mood swings, also anxiety and depression. I get so sad and just start over thinking about past that I’ve presumeably already forgiven my bf for (he didn’t cheat on me but I snooped through his phone and found somewhat platonic texts but then in the end a good morning text to a co-worker “friend who was very nice”)—am I overreacting about that??. It’s almost like clockwork every month. I use the Nuvaring and the week I take it out I self-sabotage and sabotage my relationship. My mom thinks I should get blood work done or change my BC. Anyone else have this issue?

Yeah, I think your mom is correct. One of the side effects of NuvaRing is depression and you might want to check out other birth control options like the Pill or an IUD. And the doc might want to do a thyroid test just to make sure that isn't acting up. I'm sure you have enough problems to deal with other than having your birth control make you crazy.

Birth control can have some pretty wild effects on mood. Consider seeing a doctor and describing what you are experiencing. Perhaps there is a better birth control method out there for you.

With that being said, you should also address if you have actually forgiven your boyfriend and moved past the above incident(s). Relationships do not function well without trust.

Nuvaring has the potential to cause severe depression and anxiety, as does any form of birth control.

It changes your hormones and can cause severe side effects, including feelings of suicide. You know yourself, you know whats normal and whats not. If these feelings of depression and anxiety have gotten out of control, go and see your doctor asap. You might need to try a different form of birth control or stop birth control all together and reply on condoms.

Also YOU decide if you stay on it or not, don't let your doctor decide. It is YOU who knows how bad it is and if you can cope okay with the birth control or not.

Please take this seriously, and any other women who might be reading this. Birth control can be very hazardous with some women. Only you can protect yourself and get off the birth control if it is affecting you badly.

Google risks and side effects of Nuvaring and any birth control products you decide to take. Educate yourself, protect yourself.

Unfortunately the reality of BC is that not every woman can be on it for medical reasons because it alters hormones. I had the ring and got very painful migraine attacks that I had to be taken off of it. OB doctors refused giving me an IUD until I had a child. I went to three different practices to try to request it, but they’re afraid of being sued for malpractice because of possible infertility risks. It was condoms for me. I’ve been using them for several years with no pregnancy (use them properly) so it’s not the end of the world.

I don’t recommend doing the pull-out method. That’s how I got pregnant (fortunately I am married when it happened).

Please make an appointment with your doctor. You may not be told what I was, but just be aware that it could be a possibility.

You might have PMDD

Go to your OB and talk to your doc

If you do have it there are many treatment options available to you. Most of which are simple like an SSRI.

Many women suffer from PMDD. You're not alone. Time to take action and talk to your OB.

Best of luck to you :smug:

Archived