Jealousy or legitimate concern?

TechGuy2018

I have been with my significant other for about eight months. However, a situation has come up that is of great concern to me: she works as a pet groomer and has a very odd relationship with a client. He posts glowing reviews on social media and always gives large tips (forty or more dollars for a thirty-dollar service). At first, I thought it was generosity and appreciation driving the tips and compliments, but during Christmas that changed my opinion drastically. Specifically, during Christmas, he gave her a two-hundred-dollar tip. Further adding to my uneasiness, he is in a relationship and has agreed with his spouse to leave their dog to my girlfriend if something ever happens to them. Moreover, in the next two weeks, he wants to give her a key to his apartment, so she can “watch their dog” while they’re on vacation. My questions are:

1. Should I be worried about a client giving my girlfriend excessive tips and flattery?

2. Am I over reacting or am I rational in thinking that the client-service provider relationship is very, very odd?

All perspectives and insight are welcome.

I'm not really sure what you can do in this case. You can't tell her not to take him as a client. Has he actually crossed any lines with her or asked her out or something? I don't think that "tipping too well" is a good reason to stop seeing a client.

Hmm. I know nothing about the pet grooming industry, so hopefully someone here on ENA can give us some insight.

This guy's actions do seem odd, but there are a couple things to ask.

1) Does his wife/girlfriend interact with your gf too, or is it just the man?

2) What does he say in his review...does it seem focused on the business or about your gf?

3) How does your gf react to all this, and what does she think about this client?

The only other idea I have is that if your GF really does take great care of his dog, he may be very grateful, which results in these massive tips. Still, 15-20% should be the norm so I don't know.

I don't see a problem. Maybe she does a really good job with his grooming. And is she watching the dog for free while they're on vacation? That certainly would be something I would tip large for. Apparently he trusts her with his dog. Our neighbor had a dog sitter disappear in the middle of a 10-day trip to China. The dogs had to be rescued by a family friend. Dogs are people's babies. It's worth it to tip large to someone you trust.

As someone who was paid to watch/feed dogs, I experienced their owners can be quite generous towards the services provided. I've had several who would pay hundreds of dollars, which led to me insisting they keep a lot of it. In the end they would turn me down and people, namely my parents, would question why they paid me so much.

I had no romantic involvement whatsoever: my clients being an older married couple, a middle aged female family friend and a friend of mine's coworker couple. I only knew the family friend personally, while the others I mainly saw during instruction of what to do before they left their house and after me giving their house key back when they returned (I needed it in order to watch the dogs at their residence), following payment. I would watch dogs while they worked, went on vacation, or couldn't otherwise be with the dogs.

Did I think they saw me romantically? No way. Did I think they were very appreciative of my services and liked me as a person? Yes. I think they also pitied a broke student haha. It may sound cheesy, but this depends on how much you trust your wife. Has she ever given you a reason to not trust her?

I've had times where service was so exceptional I overtipped. Once you find someone good, treat them well I always say! If it was always hundred dollar tips, I would be uneasy, but it was likely a Christmas thank you. Look for other odd behavior but if you find none, be happy a customer is so appreciative of your girlfriend's work.

I have been with my significant other for about eight months. However, a situation has come up that is of great concern to me: she works as a pet groomer and has a very odd relationship with a client. He posts glowing reviews on social media and always gives large tips (forty or more dollars for a thirty-dollar service). At first, I thought it was generosity and appreciation driving the tips and compliments, but during Christmas that changed my opinion drastically. Specifically, during Christmas, he gave her a two-hundred-dollar tip. Further adding to my uneasiness, he is in a relationship and has agreed with his spouse to leave their dog to my girlfriend if something ever happens to them. Moreover, in the next two weeks, he wants to give her a key to his apartment, so she can “watch their dog” while they’re on vacation. My questions are:

1. Should I be worried about a client giving my girlfriend excessive tips and flattery?

2. Am I over reacting or am I rational in thinking that the client-service provider relationship is very, very odd?

All perspectives and insight are welcome.

I don't think it's very odd.

I watch people's pets from time to time. For cats and dogs, the owners give me a key to their house and I stay there for a week or whatever. It's less stressful for the pets to stay in their own home.

It makes sense for people to ask a trusted groomer to watch their dog. They have a working relationship with her. They like the work that she does. They know she can handle their dog. Also, the dog knows her.

If the client is a generous tipper in general, than a really big tip at Christmas isn't a surprise.

You've only been dating 8 mos,are there any other problems? None of this is unusual. Many people see pets as family. Many people give Christmas bonuses to service personnel they appreciate. If this couple is well off and generous, you should be proud of and happy for your gf, not jealous of her clients.

He posts glowing reviews on social media and always gives large tips. Christmas, he gave her a two-hundred-dollar tip.

Archived