Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My husband is hurt and mad at me over my fake social media accounts

Bronze Member

My husband is hurt and mad at me over my fake social media accounts

A little over a year ago, my husband and I had this idea - it was mostly his idea - to create a local magazine where we encourage people in our city to go to local events like concerts and galleries and things. We wanted the focus to be on having fun and enjoying things away from your TV, and on building a local community. With that in mind, I also started noticing that when I went to local rock concerts (shows, small venues, small crowds) that most of the audience were guys and there were almost no other females there, unless they were obviously "with" the band. So I had this idea. I started a fake twitter account where I pretended to be a giddy, anonymous fan of local musicians. I posted things about how the male musicians were really "cute" and "hot" and how you could see them around town and go to their shows. One of the musicians re-tweeted my compliment of him on his own page. But then it felt creepy and weird and I started thinking, this isn't working anyway. I dropped it. But also toward the end of my interest in doing that, I posted a tweet about something close to reality. I said something about how I wanted to go to a show but that my boyfriend had an anxiety attack. I don't know why I tweeted that, I just wanted to something to seem like a real twitter account and not just praising the bands. Anyway, it trickled off, I forgot about, forgot the login and password altogether.

Then recently I started a different fake twitter account just to promote my husband's album. I shared links to it, liked and shared other similar musicians, just trying to get more listens online. I didn't tell my husband I was doing this. I just wanted to generate more listens.

He found these accounts and found out they were mine. He was hurt because he thought the second one was a different fan. He thought someone else really liked his music then he found out it was just me. He was pretty angry with me about the whole thing and basically didn't speak to me for days. He told me he didn't believe my explanation for the first account. I apologized a lot but he has barely begun speaking to me again. I wasn't sure what to do to make it up to him. I got him flowers and have just been basically nice to him.

What would you think?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I would be peed off too. I think you are flirting with danger.

Platinum Member
    I would have been upset too.

Why do you have to troll to "promote your husband"? How weird is that? Why not be real and start a real twitter, fb whatever to promote your interests. Stop being a catfish and abusing social media. Fake accounts and trolling is creepy and Never appreciated. You're right and so is he. It's very creepy and deceitful. Also stop micromanaging and trying push his job along for cash because you resent him going to college while you pay the bills.
    Originally Posted by Rihannon
    Then recently I started a different fake twitter account just to promote my husband's album.He found these accounts and found out they were mine. He was pretty angry with me about the whole thing and basically didn't speak to me for days.

Even putting aside the very understandable ding to his ego after finding something like that out, imagine the potential danger to his potential success and to his reputation should it be found out, or at the very least obvious that yours is a fake account. Only thing worse than no fans is your girlfriend / wife pulling something like that. To be quite honest, that's something I could see a mother doing for her grade school kid, like some "anonymous" donation to put them ahead during a fundraiser. It's quite infantilizing, like... almost disturbingly so. It could be that I'm almost in awe, but I'm not certain I could ever feel like my partner respected me if she'd acted that way for my supposed benefit.

What happened to laying off and letting him do his thing with his own music?

Yeah, agreed with the others, it’s super weird. I would be mad too.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by j.man

What happened to laying off and letting him do his thing with his own music?
    I did this before I joined here and got that advice and made that decision to lay off.

Bronze Member
    I know it was wrong and I am sorry. I deleted the fake accounts. I've resolved to change my thinking and behaviors. I'm trying. I think I have good intentions but I'm an idiot. Any advice on what to do now?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Let him run his own life stop trying “ fix” things or him. Pay attention to your life.

Bronze Member
    At this point do you think I should just give him space and back off and over time redeem myself by changing my behaviors?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice