Keeping my energy level high

Just so you know, I'm writing this at a lower than average energy level which, actually, speaks to the point of this thread

So, I've just gotten a new job and it's the first step to getting my life on track again. It's entry level but it's helping me pay the bills and I'm good at it. It's an adjustment, an intense adjustment, where I'm finding I'm getting worn down rather easily. It may just be having to put myself to work after about 4 months of ... well, essentially, doing nothing but, even the day after, I find myself feeling exhausted. Even going for a short work after work causes my body to ache with strain. Now, again, it may just going from a lifestyle inactivity into one with lots of activity and I may just need to accustom myself to this shift.

But even after saying all that, I want to keep my energy level as high as possible. What techniques, exercise (keep in mind I'm asthmatic, so I'll need to be careful how much cardio I get), food, herbs, books, etc. can anyone recommend for someone who wants to keep his energy high? Also, keep in mind I'm a 35 year old male.

Thanks all. You're going to be a great help.

Try yoga, stretching, eating healthy (no brainer), lift weights, go for a walk after dinner for 10 mins. I find, the reason why you ache is dehydration, so drink 2 liters of water a day, stretch before you go to bed and when you get out of bed. Things to avoid, alcohol, caffeine, the computer, the couch, junk food, deep fried foods and late night snacking. Eat good protein like chicken and fish. Bananas a great for anxiety/stress.

And do sleep....get plenty of sleep.

Save your money, don't buy vitamins and herbal crap...it makes for expensive urine. You pee it out and has very little benefit, especially if you already eat healthy. No books, when you have the internet for free.

I have a Nutri Ninja blender and make concoctions in it that are healthy and I believe they keep my energy up naturally. Toss in frozen spinach, parsley, a banana, yogurt, milk, whatever you like. Some water to help it mix. Whirl it up and drink. I have diabetes so I dont use anything sugary but you could add more fruit or ice cream.

Lots of green leafy vegetables... protein and healthy fats... eat regularly and limit the amount of sugar and processed food you eat.

You are probably aching cause you are literally tense and anxious all day. Try taking time throughout the day to walk or do some mindful breathing.

Agree with smackie about the vitamins, except for Magnesium and Vitamin D which most of us are deficient in and can help lift energy and relax muscles, and a good B Complex which will repair your nervous system from all the stress you are under.

It’s pretty normal to be overwhelmed for the first few months of a big change... is part of the process.

• 1 month later...

This has a lot to do with it. Make sure you are getting enough good quality sleep. Stay away from alcohol. Of course don't smoke....anything. Of course eat healthier and get some activity that doesn't overdo it or precipitate asthma attacks. Avoid worthless supplements, quack remedies, fad diets, gimmicks, etc. Do you have health insurance? Do cardiovascular diseases, diabetes or other chronic illness run in your family?

it may just going from a lifestyle inactivity into one with lots of activity and I may just need to accustom myself to this shift.

Archived