Eating Disorder Support from Others...ideas?

I have been bulimic on and off for about 9 years. My support system at the age of 17 when my disorder started was very inadequate, and involved my mom using shame and passive aggressive comments to try and get me to stop the behavior. Therefore, I struggle with being open to support from others and feel like I have to battle the disorder all on my own, and I tend to push others away. I also don’t specifically know how to let other people support me. I am trying to be more open about my disorder with people which is a step in the right direction. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for me of how I can let other people in and support me? I am in a fairly new relationship with a guy who wants to help/support me but I’m not sure how to actually let him help other than talking and being open about how I’m doing. Any advice/ideas for me would be appreciated. I really want to beat my disorder.

I’m actually enrolled currently in an eating disorder therapy group. It’s been very helpful. It’s run by a therapist, and it’s completely confidential. There are members with anorexia, others who are bulimic, and others with binge eating disorder. We have all found positive help with it.

Google in your city to see if you can find something like this. If not, find a therapist who specifically deals with eating disorders, so they can help determine the level of treatment that’s appropriate for you.

I would say that most people wouldn't know how to support you and I agree with LHGirl that you should find a therapy group or a professional who can help. A professional can find out why you're bulimic, (low self-esteem, poor body image, depression, anxiety) treat that, and alert you to situations that would trigger your disorder (your mother) so you can stay away from them. But I would think the average person wouldn't have a clue.

Simply accepting that you're struggling with this disorder and offering emotional support is all a partner should do to help you with a disorder. The rest of your healing is between you and a professional (as other members have mentioned, group settings are particularly useful for treating bulimia). Good luck with overcoming your issues!

Archived