Looking for a Job Abroad

Hi everyone,

As the title of this posting suggests, I'm considering a change in my career and my sights are set on overseas options. I'm a database developer, and I've spent the last six years working in the health insurance industry in this regard. I'm Irish, so the natural choice for me to move overseas would be the UK, as it's not too far away, the language is the same and there are jobs there in the IT industry.

My question is one of approach. I've looked at a number of job sites, and I have found a number of jobs that I would be suitable for, but I have not applied for any of time. My reasoning is that I don't just want to apply for any job; rather, I would like to find a job that would appeal to me. Job search sites don't seem to be very apt for this kind of search.

I was thinking of going down the route of a recruitment agency, but I've never used such a service before, and I don't know what to look for.

This probably seems very naive to many, but despite my age, I have only held two jobs since leaving college. The first was a bit of a disaster. I took the job as it was the first that came up, but I was ill-suited to the role. This experience has left me wary of changing jobs, hence why I have remained in my current position for so long. I guess I'm just looking for some pointers on how to look for the right job for me, and not just a job that I could do.

Thank you :).

Hi everyone,

My question is one of approach. I've looked at a number of job sites, and I have found a number of jobs that I would be suitable for, but I have not applied for any of time. My reasoning is that I don't just want to apply for any job; rather, I would like to find a job that would appeal to me. Job search sites don't seem to be very apt for this kind of search.

I was thinking of going down the route of a recruitment agency, but I've never used such a service before, and I don't know what to look for.

I am a bit confused by the bolded. How would you know if a job appeals to you unless and until you actually apply, wait for the hiring manager to contact you and discuss what the job is about and what it entails?

The right job doesn't just fall out of the sky, you have to apply for it, and then learn what it's about to determine if it would be a good fit for you. They will do the same to determine if you're the right fit for them.

With respect to recruiters, have you tried googling recruitment agencies in the UK that specialize in your area of work and contacted them?

Monster.com or something similar where you post your application and companies look for you. If you put down detailed specifics of what you want, you will narrow down what companies that would provide you with those expectations. It's always wise to research the company before you apply. You can even contact someone in the company to find out more.

Monster.com or something similar where you post your application and companies look for you. If you put down detailed specifics of what you want, you will narrow down what companies that would provide you with those expectations. It's always wise to research the company before you apply. You can even contact someone in the company to find out more.

Just my experience, but I once made the massive mistake of uploading my resume on Monster.com and was bombarded with calls and emails from shyt companies, most of which had nothing to do with what was on my resume or the line of work I was in and looking for (legal positions).

JMO but if you want the right job and fit for you, you have to go out looking for it, agree researching the company is a good idea, but even then, you have to actually apply for the specific job you want, and then speak with the hiring manager to find out about it to determine if it's right for you (and vice versa).

Hiring a recruiter may be easier than searching yourself, my advice would do both. A recruiter and apply for jobs yourself.

Not sure how this would all work though being that it all has to be done from thousands of miles away (assuming you're in North America), but best of luck!

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

What I meant when I said that I would be suitable for a number of the jobs that I have seen is that I meet the requirements listed in the job description in terms of experience and skills. These jobs, however, were not interesting to me as the area of business was not something that would interest me.

I knew about the site Monster, but I didn't realise that one could upload a resume there. I think that I'll give it a try.

I know that I seem somewhat clueless about this process, and that's because I am. My current job and the one before that were both sought and accepted when I was unemployed, thus I didn't really have much time to think heavily on the pros and cons of either. I guess it's a learning experience haha.

Thanks!

Archived