Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will animal abuse lead to other types of abuse?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by dias
    I wouldn't end a good relationship over this because I have been on the other side. If he never had a dog before, his behaviour is not that strange. It takes time to adapt. Don't expect him to obtain unlimited patience in a month.

I have heard about men who get angry when they have their first baby. Patience is not innate in everyone, it can be trained though up to a certain extent. Since your boyfriend doesn't demonstrate abusive behaviour towards your cats, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he is an abusive person in general.
    I don't understand how not ever owning a dog can be an excuse for abuse.

If he injured and was smacking/screaming a baby would you say the same?
    Last edited by Hollyj; 06-13-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Your BF is an abuser. And yes it will carry over. Leave him and get the puppy a safe home ASAP. You know this.

Originally Posted by kitteh
    Youíre right I shouldnít being worrying about the future and instead I should be dealing with the current situation. Iíve grown so attached to the puppy and donít want to give him up but I know if I want to keep him i will need to end my relationship and move out of our house which is not a easy or quick thing to do. I really didnít see this coming (heís never been abusive towards our cats) and the last month has flipped my life upside down. I thought Iíd be with my bf forever.. I just canít believe that after 4 years with someone they can show a side Iíve never seen before. I feel really stupid to be honest. Iíve been spending every second my bf is home protecting the puppy and keeping him away from him but itís so exhausting. Canít sleep thinking about what to do with the puppy, how to end the relationship, how/where to move to. I also feel like my family will be so disappointed in me because they really like my bf.
    Thanks for your honest advice.
    Who cares what they think of your BF. Its your life and you need to get the puppy and yourself out of that situation asap.

There is no excuse here .

Platinum Member
    What is particularly disturbing is your failure to get medical treatment for the puppy after that man injured it.

Were you too embarrassed?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    I don't understand how not ever owning a dog can be an excuse for abuse.

If he injured and was smacking/screaming a baby would you say the same?
    You misconstrued my words. Smacking and screaming are abuse but given that he never had a puppy before, his behaviour is not that preposterous. It takes time for someone to adapt and learn to control himself. If he is willing to learn of course. The injury was over the top though.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    By adulthood though most people can control themselves . And if they canít they shouldnít have animals or children . I will agree both animals and children can be extremely frustrating Iím not denying that . But physically injuring them should not be part of the equation at all, ever . It is not part of getting used to an animal or a child . That says the person is not capable .

For instance I have a cat that clawed my brand new thousand dollar TV stand . I didnít hit or scream at my cat . I put tinfoil on where he scratches to encourage him not to do that . There is no need to injure an animal whatsoever . You are supposed to use the brain cells you are given to think of solutions .

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by kitteh
    Youíre right I shouldnít being worrying about the future and instead I should be dealing with the current situation. Iíve grown so attached to the puppy and donít want to give him up but I know if I want to keep him i will need to end my relationship and move out of our house which is not a easy or quick thing to do. I really didnít see this coming (heís never been abusive towards our cats) and the last month has flipped my life upside down. I thought Iíd be with my bf forever.. I just canít believe that after 4 years with someone they can show a side Iíve never seen before. I feel really stupid to be honest. Iíve been spending every second my bf is home protecting the puppy and keeping him away from him but itís so exhausting. Canít sleep thinking about what to do with the puppy, how to end the relationship, how/where to move to. I also feel like my family will be so disappointed in me because they really like my bf.
    Thanks for your honest advice.
    You need to move out with the puppy. He will do the same to a small child that is pushing for attention when he is busy. If you have a job, you can get an apartment that is pet friendly.

If its his place or a homeless shelter,
    I think you should contact a reputable rescue - not the dog pound - to help you rehome the puppy from a violent situation if you cannot keep the puppy or contact the person you got the pup from if they are reputable and weren't someone handing out dogs from the back of their car.

But i ultimately think moving out with the puppy would be good because it also teaches you responsibility - you committed to the pup's life - you don't just toss them away and give you motivation to move out. If you don't, you'll just stay and then wonder why he smacked your 11 month old child across the face

Good animal cruelty and personality disorders.
    There is a correlation.
    Not saying it's the case here. . but something to consider.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by dias
    You misconstrued my words. Smacking and screaming are abuse but given that he never had a puppy before, his behaviour is not that preposterous. It takes time for someone to adapt and learn to control himself. If he is willing to learn of course. The injury was over the top though.
    I don't agree.

Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    Good animal cruelty and personality disorders.
    There is a correlation.
    Not saying it's the case here. . but something to consider.
    typo Google. . not good.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice