Is God punishing me? Is this some kind of bad karma?

Okay, so this probably sounds weird and not like a big deal, but this has literally happened to me so many times that I'm starting to think it's not a coincidence. Anyways, I applied for a job recently. The interview couldn't have been better. Then I get this text from the principal (it's a teaching job) and she basically accidentally texted me to offer me the job because she thought I was the other applicant and meant to send it to her. It got me thinking about all the other times something similar happened. Like the time when my cheerleading coach in high school accidentally announced me as the captain when she meant to say someone else. And the time I was accidentally announced as homecoming attendant. Is God punishing me or something? To not get the job is bad enough, but then to go through that embarrassment and awkwardness of finding out that text was for someone else....

God does not "punish." However, there is always the belief of when one door closes, another opens. It may take awhile longer to reach that point, but please don't give up. It may not be what you've planned, but just go with it.

I've applied for teaching jobs and was given an accidental offer twice. It happens. People tend to make mistakes!

I feel your frustration and have been in your position many times when I was applying for teaching jobs (I have left the field for something better). The good news is that it's still a bit early in the game to hire new teachers. Most school systems don't hire outside candidates until July/August because teachers quit at the last minute to accept a better job or get hired at a different district. HR uses this time now to fill in transfers AND to finish out the school year.

Another way to approach this:

THANK the employer for the opportunity to interview you and clarify the mistake. Mention how you look forward to having another opportunity again. I was given up for the first position that I interviewed for... then another position opened a month later and I was instantly offered the job because it was a better fit. That could happen to you, so try to be as optimistic as possible when communicating with the principals... they will seriously remember your gracefulness.

I gotta say, that's pretty **** luck to be misproclaimed on several big occasions like that. Still, it is what it is. Back during basic training, we had a guy get bitten twice by brown recluses. Soon after both incidents, we get out of the gas chamber and he comes running out screaming. We're all like, "Dude, it wasn't that bad." Pops his mask off and we see the bite. We shake out the mask and it turns out he'd got bitten by a black widow hiding inside it. It's funny thinking back on with like 8 grown dudes stomping one spot on the ground, but I mean he was either actively trying to make his Spider-Man fantasy a reality or he had some of the worst luck I've seen. Still, I think most of us can look back and find something we've beaten the odds on and not for any benefit to our own comfort. Try not to think too much on it.

Archived