Am I being too paranoid about protecting myself?

Wondering728

Never had a first date like this. Met someone online a few weeks ago. We spoke and texted almost every day and had great conversations. Since we live almost 2 hours apart we met somewhere in between yesterday. We made a full day of it from lunch to dinner and going to winery in between with music. As soon as I met him, he hugged me and started holding my hand short time later, he kissed me on occasion. He kept on saying he was happy to meet me and wanted to see me again soon. That he said some strange things.

PHe is a dentist and he asked me if I whiten my teeth. When I replied I only use whitening toothpaste he told me that it’s bad for you when I should use a different method. He then also asked about a birthmark on my arm, which really isnt obvious. He kept on saying I was beautiful etc. and telling me about his prior bad dates and how he was so happy to finally meet someone with looks brains and wit. He was married twice before. He does have some animosity towards his first wife because of custody issues when the kids were young and he has no contact with the second ex-wife. He listed his age on the website as 62 but in reality he told me his 66. He reminded me I listed myself 58 and I’m 60 I tried to correct my but it was a impossible on this website. He brought up he brought it up about my age difference and so did I for him. Because of the distance, he wants to you to spend time at his house or mine almost immediately. Otherwise, he appears to be a well established person he also has a passion for growing vegetables and it has a garden so he brought me a ton of veggies as he knows I like that I’ve been broke with you prior relationships because of control issues in line also one of them Was a narcissist and came on strong for the sort of like this guy. The other item I noticedWas that he was looking at his cell phone looking at messages from his friends female and male asking how the date was going? Although this seemed innocent I thought it was kind of rude especially on the first date? Do I go out of my way wait to see him especially since we live so far away even though I feel like we have a lot of chemistry quote?

You let him hold your hand and kiss you and you don't say if you welcomed that or not. I think it was very forward of him, as I believe most guys would wait until the 2nd date for the hand holding, ensuring that the woman must be interested if she accepted a second date. On the first date, how would he know this action was welcome?

Since you live a distance from one another, you feel obliged to spend more time together at the beginning after a long drive, which really isn't good for the relationship. And the fact that he's already suggesting time at each others homes so quickly is a red flag. I don't believe in dating someone who lives more than 1 hour apart from you. It makes the dating experience more expensive, it's not conducive to a normal dating experience, and one of you would eventually have to leave your friend, family, and career to move to the others location. He doesn't sound like a good prospect to me and I'd put limitations on distance in dating for your own good in the future.

I don't think you should see him again and I'm not sure what you mean about not being able to correct your lie on the website about your age-I'm sure you could have deleted the profile and started over again and been honest about your age. I say that only because if you don't want to meet liars then you need to be honest about facts like age.

As far as the guy it looks like he is quite negative on his past relationships and overshared (red flag) and seems to want an insta relationship and one where it's ok to comment on your teeth and birthmark the first time he meets you. That would not be ok with me, personally -would you like him to treat your family or friends like that when he first meets them?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Thanks for posting. He seems like a nice guy and the two of you have fun together ;I would say the more time you spend with him you will find out how he really is. If you feel you want to learn more about him you can wait to see him. Also, how does he make you feel and does he respect you?. These things you may want to consider. I wish you the best with your relationship.

Archived