How would you feel/what would you do if your sisters bf treated her like this?

How would you feel/what would you do if your sisters or best friends boyfriend dumped her 7 months after her mother died and 5 months after promising to stand by her following a termination of pregnancy (which he coerced with promises of a future) all because he fell out of love with her? Please be honest

It doesn’t matter what I would feel. What matters is helping my sister go through a difficult time. If she needs someone to just listen, provide that. But it isn’t your place to get involved with a broken relationdhip.

Yes, I would feel upset and disappointed for her. I am sure most family would.

But I would also know I can't do anything but support her through this difficult time. My feelings would be of secondary importance to hers so I would put my feelings aside and help her in whichever way she wishes. I would not get involved in their break-up, though.

Why do you ask, OP?

If my sister or best friends boyfriend dumped her, I would be there for her. I would have to be told these details because I wouldn't just naturally be privy to them. He's choosing to leave, that's none of my business, my friend family members wellbeing is.

Then again I'm older and playing 'tell every dirty detail of my relationship because I'm mad at a guy I have no intention of leaving and I'm just venting even though you will in turn dislike the boyfriend I have no intention of leaving and things will be awkward between us' is something I stopped doing after the age of 18. I don't need to know every dirty detail of my friends or families relationships, ESPECIALLY if they don't expect me to intervene and help remove them from the situation.

Is this about you or someone else? It helps us answer you more directly if you ask the question directly.

How would you feel if it was you?

If it was me, I'm first assuming I'm very young because I don't think I'd allow myself to be coerced to do something I didn't want like have an abortion under the pretense of a 'future'. So young, lost, confused, hurting, yes I would be feeling very upset. And I would hope my older sister or my best friend would be there for me and help me realize I am better off without a guy who would act in such a manner.

I'd feel like if I had to ask people this question, I should be taking a good look at why my ego is inflated to the point of making me think I'm in any position to make a loved one's issues about me.

And, without knowing either party and neither seeming to be present to represent him or herself, I can't qualify who "treated" anyone in what way, but I can say that, as sympathetic as I am toward someone whose parent has recently died and who has had to make a very difficult decision to have an abortion, neither circumstance is meant to serve as capital to sustain a relationship. It's easy on paper to think someone's an ***hole because they left someone after their a catastrophe, but I've experienced first hand and known people who were exposed to emotional abuse or extreme dependency as a coping mechanism of their partner's, and one should always have the right to free themselves from such conditions without shame. Again, can't say that's what happened here, just that I know better than to treat these sorts of things as black and white.

Archived