What is he thinking??? need some advices..

bearybear8

I have a fwb for on and off 15 months, where we meet each other once/twice a month (usually for making out/oral sex) and the rest of the time we had phone sex or sexting. We were casually dating other people as well. In January, before I moved to another country, we finally had sex. Again, we continue sexting each other every week. Both of us were comfortable with this, and we knew this is just a filler/settling relationship.

He then had to move to another country (which is only 2hours flight away from me) for 4 months work. We then decided to meet up in another country for some holiday together. At this time, both of us were not seeing other people (even casually). In a hindsight, this is where everything started to go wrong. The trip was amazing, we had loads of fun and great sex. Post sex, there'll be cuddling sesh where we talked to each other about everything and anything. Every time, he would say he likes me and gonna miss me. None feel awkward nor force.

Post-holiday, he started to text me every day. On one day, I jokingly asked him whether he's falling for me, which he asked me the same question back. I was being flirty then and asked him, can you handle it if I say yes. He instead became serious and responded that he could handle it but does not want either of us to get hurt, and that's not what he thought the initial plan was. He told me he cared about me and want to be careful not to hurt me. I answered that this could be post-holiday feeling and say things wouldn't work out that way between us. He admitted of feeling something for me and yeah, he agreed we wouldn't work together but say that doesn't mean he doesn't care about me. I asked whether he want to call this off because I'm okay if he does. He doesn't want to but thinks we need to know where it's going.

He thinks we should have fun and enjoy each other while we can, and remember each other well. But if that's not what I want, I should tell him and he'll think about it. However, he does think that since we're going to be far from each other, he doesn't see how it can be more than that. I kinda understand and agree to just have fun while it lasts. He suddenly said when things go this well, of course, we're gonna have feelings. I then answered no, we should throw away whatever feelings we had which he then started to got upset. Before ending the conversation, I asked him whether we're going to meet each other again or just continue with sexting. At this part, I'm alright with whatever he wants. Which he answered, he really wants to meet me again and wants to make a plan.

However, it's very frustrating when he started to gave me mixed signals after having that conversation. Like saying I only want him for his body where else he's all about me (and slightly about sex). I mean, why do you say that when we've already decided to not be serious, and how to even respond to that? He keeps on initiating text at least once a day, either at work or at home (usually before he goes to sleep). Asking about my days, my past/childhood and telling me that he wants to hear more about me as I offered him very little. He would send his pics before going to bed and ask to see me too. He's also been asking whether I've been with other guys since we started hooking up. Sigh. I'm not sure whether that's just how sensitive guy (he claimed he is) act in FWB? but it's is very confusing because we've never done that before and now it feels quite relationship-y.

I thought FWB would be drama free and no hassle, but now it's been quite frustrating since it's been bugging my mind. Sometimes it feels like he wants things to be more, or maybe I'm just overthinking. I'm ready to call it off as I don't want either of us to get hurt too or things get more serious. Now, what do you guys think? What is he thinking?? And should I just go with the flow and enjoy it while it lasts? Or should I call it quits now before things get even more complicated?

Yeah, it's really difficult to just have sex with someone without developing feelings for the other person. I think he's torn about the situation and it may be driving him a bit crazy. Why don't you find someone you can have a real relationship with? Someone who you can go on dates with, hold their hand, stare into their eyes, and have sex a couple of times a week. Are you afraid of relationships? Did you have a bad breakup? This isn't a real relationship and it may actually prevent you from being able to develop a real relationship.

Anyways, Hollyj is correct. Someone's going to get hurt.

It sounds like you are falling for him but he wants to keep the on/off fwb situation.

Agree the way the post is shaped. He seems to be the one holding the cards and stopping you two from being together and you're just going along so you don't lose him.

The person who has the potential to get hurt is you. Tread carefully.

• 1 month later...

I agree this sounds very messy but it also sounds like you both seem to want it to get more serious but you're both afraid of it at the same time. You're kind of having this border line, honest conversation about it with these vague questions back and forth to each other with neither actually willing to take the plunge and speak earnestly about how you're feeling - such has been the nature of your relationship for so long. His statements about you only wanting him for his body screams to me that he wants you to follow that up with what else it is you like about him. He's just as cautious as you are at this juncture and that's perfectly understandable. If this relationship develops into a meaningful one it will be a tricky road to navigate and I would personally exercise extreme caution.

Archived