Hey all!

I've recently started to dislike my job or more so how it is represented? Its a hard one to explain but ultimately I am not happy where I am and would love to start a new career but its proving to be hard.

I finished university in 2015 with a graphic design degree (2:1) but found that working in a studio is not something I would want to pursue as it felt more of a hobby, So I looked for any part time work to keep me going until I could figure out where I am going with my career. I applied for a job at the place i'm still working out as a stock assistant, it drew me in as it was more about keeping the store merchandised and helping with displays - I thought it was a good fit for the time being. As time went on I grew with the company and 4 years later i'm part of the management team doing what my first role was but more responsibility (and better pay/hours) . It started off well but as time went on I felt more and more disheartened. It is kinda a new role so i've had no training nor have I had guidance. I've had meetings about this problem and it never has been resolved. I would love to carry on within the creative industry, I would love to help create displays and be an in-store visual merchandiser or something along those lines. My area is very 'office' based jobs so when there is an creative opportunity that comes up, they want people that are highly skilled or a senior designer with the right qualifications but I feel I don't have that due to the lack of training within my role (everything I've done has been self taught or with some vague guidance with no feedback as to what I'm doing is right or wrong). Its also hard trying to find a job that has a great amount of hours along with a decent pay. I would hate for me to peddle backwards and go down hours and pay.

I can't travel too far out as i'm in the process of starting to learn to drive and the money I earn within this job is ok but not enough to have my own place.

I kinda feel a little bit lost on how to proceed and where to go. My self confidence has kind of been knocked down a few pegs, I studied hard for my degree and I want to utilise it in someway but just not in the way it was intended. I've uploaded my cv to a handful of job pages like . Reed/monster/indeed/cv library. I've also tried recruitment agencies but even they throw jobs at me where i'm no where near qualified for - I went to an interview that I was told I was qualified for to then find out I wasn't qualified for.

I'm trying not to let it bring me down but I really am starting to hate going into work more than most and get worked up the night before. It's hard to talk to anyone about it as I don't want to come across as overdramatic or just stupid. I realise I tend to over analyse certain things and it can suddenly just mound up into a ball of mess.

Any help/advice/support would be helpful :)

B xx

Well, I don't understand how you have 4 years experience but you feel you need more training. It sounds like you get the training by doing the job, that there probably isn't a textbook you can read about it. By now you should have plenty of experience, and if nobody's complaining, then you're doing a good job.

As for being an in-store visual merchandiser, do you have a portfolio of campaigns you've designed? You're going to need more than a CV. Why don't you find a small boutique or a small store and create some window displays for them and other designs. You might be able to get some part-time income by doing this and build it into a design firm of your own. Applying for jobs isn't enough. You have to prove yourself in the industry.

Archived