Sleep Hygeine

thornz

Hi, looking for some suggestions to create a bedtime routine that will last approx one hr. I’m trying to form good habits meet my basic physiological needs which is something I struggle with due to anxiety and depression. I’ve made good progress with exercise, eating regularly and taking my meds but I am still struggling with regular quality sleep and breathing (I hold my breath and tense my muscles).

I have no bath, limited kitchen supplies and am not in a position to spend any money (any at all). I know false light is terrible for your circadian rhythm so the phone is banned lol.

I have a few ideas myself, I have essential oils I can put on in an atomiser and can play some relaxing sounds/music on my little speaker, a hot shower and a mug of hot malt drink could help. If I could incorporate breathing exercises to practice at bed that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

Thanks

Additional info, my aim is to be able to “trigger” myself into sleep with a pattern that will become familiar and associated with relaxation and sleep. Hopefully then even if I’m in an unfamiliar place or am wide awake or have had an upsetting day my routine will kick in and I will get to sleep ok.

Here is what I do. I read for about 20-30 minutes with the TV on in the background. I sit in the same chair usually -a rocking chair - I have a light snack and try to limit liquids. I do look at the TV and my husband and I chat and I try to avoid intense conversation/disagreements that would wind me up. I try to avoid my computer and phone within an hour of bedtime and often more. I don't have phone convos late at night (but that is also because it would wake up my son. He is a night owl and loves to talk at night but he works with me. We always hug and kiss goodnight and that is also part of my "routine" -an enjoyable part but I like that kind of division between day and night (no, we most often do not have romantic time at bedtime because of our parenting roles!). I make sure the bedroom is cool enough and I use essential oils (lotion and pillow spray). I use an eye mask too. I lie down in the same position and I also do tiny rituals like placing my hand under the pillow in a certain way, etc - all just placebo stuff to signal my body/head that it's time to go to sleep. I like to have heavy blankets on me also for comfort/placebo effect. I say a nightly prayer, try to think of at least three things I am grateful for, and if necessary I do 4-7-8 breathing. I've had insomnia issues on and off for decades. And when I was new mom (I made a thread about this) I was on such high alert I felt like I completely lost my ability to fall asleep.

I try to keep my bedtime to within a half hour or so of the same time each night. I turn the clock around so I can't see the time if I wake up in the middle of the night and I don't check.

So- not sure if that takes a whole hour but I keep it simple so that I can replicate it when we travel, etc.

This is what I do, and I sleep so soundly, I literally don't even have to make my bed when I wake up:

--No caffeine from about noon-2 pm on.

--Dinner should be finished by around 7:00 pm if possible and no snacking afterwards.

--No alcohol past dinnertime.

--Cool room (69 degrees for me)

--Lightweight, super comfy sheets & comforter

--Buy the most comfortable bed you can afford. For me, it's a firm mattress with a temperature-controlling topper (like Tempurpedic, but mine's a Therapedic brand which regulates temperature).

--Spend money on the absolute best mattress pad you can afford. I have a cooling quilted mattress pad, which is on top of my firm mattress/Therapedic.

--Spend money on the best sheets you can afford.

--Best pillow you can afford, that's the most comfortable thing you can imagine sleeping on. For me, it's one of those wave foam pillows. Whatever it is for you, it's absolutely essential.

--Sleep in the most comfortable, coolest but comfy things you can afford.

--Blackout curtains

--Turn off all lights, including all those annoying little blue "dot" lights from Wifi devices, etc.

--Ceiling fan, extra tower fan by the bed, with remotes to be able to operate from bed.

I do watch t.v. before bed, and I'm blue-light guilty (laptop, phone) before bed, although these things are so bad for us.

I literally do not move for 7 1/2 hours.

In short: Put together the absolute most comfortable sleeping environment you can imagine. It's 1/3 of your life, and so much of your brain development and growth happens while asleep.

Hey just throwing this out there...because I'm a nurse and this was a red flag for me...

If you're holding your breath in your sleep, you may have sleep apnea. Sometimes you may snore or jolt yourself awake, and it will definitely interrupt your sleep cycle. You may want to research a cpap machine.

Hey just throwing this out there...because I'm a nurse and this was a red flag for me...

If you're holding your breath in your sleep, you may have sleep apnea. Sometimes you may snore or jolt yourself awake, and it will definitely interrupt your sleep cycle. You may want to research a cpap machine.

OMG, so true. You should get a sleep study done. It's usually covered by insurance when your doctor writes for it.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Determined to try out some new things for my sleeping habits tonight. My sleeping has got worse over the last few days and I’ve been suffering paranoia and panic as a result.

As far as the sleep apnoea is concerned I hold my breath when I’m awake and anxious or upset, not when I’m asleep.

I did spend a lot of money on a good mattress and great bedding a few years ago but left those at my ex’s house when we split up.

Apart from the obvious stuff I found out today that getting lots of daylight during the day helps your body distinguish between wake and sleep time and that exercise during the day releases cortisol

causing you to be alert but also making you sleep better at night.

Think I will try some of your suggestions along with early morning exercise and daylight, evening yoga stretches with breathing exercises before bed.

You can buy melatonin???!!! 😮

Yes, you can. My sister has insomnia. I think it was effective a few times and then was not. I think I've been sleeping more soundly because I'm drinking more water/hydrating during the day so that I'm not distracted by my body working on digesting, etc (sorry if TMI).

I use them too and wonder if it's a placebo effect.

I didn't even know what it was when I first encountered the spray. I was on an airplane and the lady sitting next to me took out this small bottle and sprayed a couple of spritzes. I looked up, somewhat alarmed, because I am allergic to EVERYTHING and I thought it was perfume. But in a few seconds I felt relaxed, calm and had a sense of well-being. So it couldn't have been a placebo effect because I had no idea what it was that she sprayed until well afterward.

I'm buying some to use because I take my job home with me in my mind and it's driving me nuts lol.

Yes, you can. My sister has insomnia. I think it was effective a few times and then was not. I think I've been sleeping more soundly because I'm drinking more water/hydrating during the day so that I'm not distracted by my body working on digesting, etc (sorry if TMI).

I looked it up and it’s not available here without prescription and it’s also suggested it can be damaging in the long term. I think for me it’s a case of long term poor habits rather than a legitimate sleep disorder. Need to get tough with myself and be strict until I am in better habits.

I didn't even know what it was when I first encountered the spray. I was on an airplane and the lady sitting next to me took out this small bottle and sprayed a couple of spritzes. I looked up, somewhat alarmed, because I am allergic to EVERYTHING and I thought it was perfume. But in a few seconds I felt relaxed, calm and had a sense of well-being. So it couldn't have been a placebo effect because I had no idea what it was that she sprayed until well afterward.

I'm buying some to use because I take my job home with me in my mind and it's driving me nuts lol.

Funny you should mention this as I was researching this today. I regularly use an atomiser with essential oils that I “blend” myself. The positive effects of aromatherapy and essential oils has been heavily documented. The studies I was looking into suggested that unlike antidepressants, essential oils are not a placebo. I also found out that you have smell receptors in your throat and that of all our senses, smell is the only one that does not go to the emptional response part of the brain via a central processor. Smells are processed directly from our emotional response area of the brain, which explains why some smells can evoke such an instantaneous and strong emotional reaction.

I keep a bottle of bergamot oil at work which I drop onto a tissue and leave on my desk between my arms to calm me when I feel a panic attack may strike. I would highly recommend bergamot, it is very soothing and calming but also refreshing. Lavender is also a good one, neroli and clary sage complement these others too.

Funny you should mention this as I was researching this today. I regularly use an atomiser with essential oils that I “blend” myself. The positive effects of aromatherapy and essential oils has been heavily documented. The studies I was looking into suggested that unlike antidepressants, essential oils are not a placebo. I also found out that you have smell receptors in your throat and that of all our senses, smell is the only one that does not go to the emptional response part of the brain via a central processor. Smells are processed directly from our emotional response area of the brain, which explains why some smells can evoke such an instantaneous and strong emotional reaction.

I keep a bottle of bergamot oil at work which I drop onto a tissue and leave on my desk between my arms to calm me when I feel a panic attack may strike. I would highly recommend bergamot, it is very soothing and calming but also refreshing. Lavender is also a good one, neroli and clary sage complement these others too.

I use a spray that is mostly lavender and have for years. What I find for myself is that just the ritual itself, the routine, puts me in a good sleep mindset. So, I have the eye mask, the body pillow, lavender spray and the right room temp. Plus the non-screen time and keeping bedtime to roughly the same time. Like I mentioned I rely on 4-7-8 breathing and I have a visualization I do that works for me -which took time to develop but it's at the point where I get through less than a third of my visualization and I'm sleeping.

Don't mess with this kind of stuff. Agree lifestyle habits impact things and when those are adjusted you'll have a real solution not a come-on magic bullet pill.

I looked it up and it’s not available here without prescription and it’s also suggested it can be damaging in the long term. I think for me it’s a case of long term poor habits rather than a legitimate sleep disorder.

Archived