my mom passed away Friday

Hello ENA,

I am a long member here and have made friends on this site throughout the years. I just wanted to let you all know that my mom passed away on Friday night. She had an emergency hiatal hernia surgery back in summer 2016 that put her on a feeding tube. The surgery caused her digestive system to not absorb nutrients properly. She dropped to 75 pounds and was all skin and bones with severe scoliosis that impeded her ability to walk good or even breath properly. Over memorial day weekend, she developed sepsis and was life-flighted to the hospital where they put her on life-sustaining meds and care in ICU. She had CO2 buildup in her lungs and couldn't be put on a ventilator due to her frail condition. Her organs were failing.

After talking with the doctors, my sister and I decided to take her off her meds and let her die peacefully. Any intervention would have only made things worse, or put her into a nursing facility for the rest of her life living off of machines. We had her service yesterday and her funeral is in an hour~ now. I miss her dearly, but both my sister and I are happy she is at peace. :) She's in no more pain. No more feeding tube, dumping ostomy bags out, no more scoliosis. I thought it was going to be hard to see her in a coffin, but she it was the total opposite. She looks the most comfortable we have ever seen her. Her back is straight again, she doesn't look malnourished.

I am hanging in there. I started seeing a professional therapist several months ago to deal with her as well as my other issues in life with dating and things. My moms ailments impeded both our lives. I am now free from it as much as she is. I can live my life again and never have to worry about what is down the road for my mom.

Archived