My boyfriend joked about transitioning, how seriously do I take this?

Okay, so I'm gay and I've had this online boyfriend for about six months now. We've never met in person, but we're pretty serious. Anyway, we were just casually texting last night and, out of the blue, he said that he might want to become a girl. This came as quite a shock to me, but he was talking in a kind of tongue-in-cheek and playful manner, as if he wasn't actually too serious.

Still, I asked him if he was certain about transitioning. He said he didn't know but couldn't understand why it was an issue. I reaffirmed that I was gay and that I wasn't attracted to women, and he told me that he was too, and would still want to keep his 'male reproductive organs'. The manner that he was speaking in indicated that he really wasn't taking this all too seriously, but I'm unsure.

We are both still in our mid-teens, so is it possible that this was just a crazy idea brought on by puberty, and he will grow out of this phase? As much as I want him to be happy, and 100% support anyone's decision to transition, I desperately want this to be just a phase that he will grow out of. Could that possibly be the case?

Yeah, he may change his mind about that. The ideas you have when you're 15 change when you're 20. But I would advise you not to get too serious over an online romance. These things hardly ever work out and they can cause a lot of grief and heartache.

Archived