Anyone with experience with Pristiq?

When I was at the pharmacy yesterday due to illness the pharmacist suggested Pristiq instead of clonazepam . I guess apparently Pristiq is not habit-forming ? Or at least that is what the pharmacist said . I have been on clonazepam I would say close to five years for anxiety . I cannot take SSRIs because I am allergic to them as it causes psychosis . What I gather Pristiq is not an SSRI .

Is this something that people have used successfully for anxiety . It’s primary focus is depression which I don’t have .

No. No. No.

While clonazepam is a benzo and is addictive, Pristiq is an SNRI and affects serotonin and norepinephrine levels in the brain. Where you had a bad reaction to SSRI you do not want to touch this drug, and there's just as many withdrawal problems as clonazepam.

I'm sure your pharmacist is trying to be helpful, but I don't think he knows you've had a bad time with SSRIs.

Pristiq is a newer kind of antidepressant and doctors generally start people on it rather than the old benzos. But you're on it apparently since you had problems with SSRIs.

You can discuss this with your doctor, but be very, very careful switching. You may want to stay with what works.

No. No. No.

While clonazepam is a benzo and is addictive, Pristiq is an SNRI and affects serotonin and norepinephrine levels in the brain. Where you had a bad reaction to SSRI you do not want to touch this drug, and there's just as many withdrawal problems as clonazepam.

I'm sure your pharmacist is trying to be helpful, but I don't think he knows you've had a bad time with SSRIs.

Pristiq is a newer kind of antidepressant and doctors generally start people on it rather than the old benzos. But you're on it apparently since you had problems with SSRIs.

You can discuss this with your doctor, but be very, very careful switching. You may want to stay with what works.

That is what I figured. I did tell the pharmacist that I had a psychotic reaction to SSRIs as in I was watching furniture walk by it self and was hearing and seeing things and didn’t sleep for almost 20 days . Clonazepam while addictive works very well for me . It rachets me down about 1000 knotches. I have diagnosed panic disorder and anxiety and PTSD but not depression ( any longer) Clonazepam works well in keeping my brain from catastrophizing.

I know that this is not the question, though Clonazepam may work well in the short-term, it is still highly addictive. And you can become addicted in as little as a month of daily use.

I myself have never used benzos or opioids, but I have a family member who is on Klonipin (another name for Clonazepam) and she is like a zombie. Not to be disrespectful of people who are dose-dependent, but I am a staunch advocate against using psychotic drugs and opioids longterm. From what I've witnessed, it has done nothing but ruin lives. But to be clear, this is just my opinion.

I know that this is not the question, but though Clonazepam may work well in the short-term, but it is still highly addictive. And you can become addicted in as little as a month of daily use.

I myself have never used benzos or opioids, but I have a family member who is on Klonipin (another name for Clonazepam) and she is like a zombie. Not to be disrespectful of people who are dose-dependent, but I am a staunch advocate against using psychotic drugs and opioids longterm. From what I've witnessed, it has done nothing but ruin lives. But to be clear, this is just my opinion.

I am not a zombie. I only take .25 mg a day.

It has certainly worked for me in the long run though. I can’t take a newer class of meds because I get psychosis and serotonin syndrome . SSRIs work great for a lot of people like my husband but not for me .

Glad it works for you Seraphim. I wish you nothing but wellness.

Glad it works for you Seraphim. I wish you nothing but wellness.

Thank you. :) I know it is a disaster for some unfortunately. :(

My brain chemistry is just really weird like my dad’s many medications don’t work well with my chemistry .

Archived