Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: Helping children cope

Helping children cope

Recently split with childís father. Very long and toxic relationship (read previous post), however Iím trying to help my daughter deal with it. Currently there is a TPO in place until 10.17 and he cannot visit her, but he can talk to her. He hasnít attempted to call yet, I imagine because i put him out that his pride is hurting. This morning she said she misses him and wants to see him, and I donít want her to be in school sad. What can I do to make this process smooth. Itís only been three days since I officially put him out and got TPO (temporary protection order).

Family therapy would help you cope and help you communicate with your child about parents splitting up. Do not let a child's emotions run to your separation but address them promptly with expert family counselling.

You also need to get a supervised visitation order in place and child support. Do not let him pick her up or visit at school, etc. Abductions in violent situations are very common as a pawn. Is the protection order for only you? Or only your home? Does it encompass your child, her school and your workplace? Get your ducks in a row legally to protect your child and do not let the understandable musing of a child stop you from protecting her and yourself. Be smart.
    Originally Posted by undeniedshe
    she said she misses him and wants to see him

Platinum Member
    Honestly, I would seek the advice of an experienced family therapist on this one.

Your situation is more delicate than most break-ups, and navigating this with a child is going to be tricky. Do you have counseling services in your area you could reach out to?

Platinum Member
    I would tell her that her dad was bad and he's in time out until the 17th. But if she wants to talk to him, hand her the telephone.

Give Advice
Ask For Advice