I think I might have high functioning depression

Iv noticed a change in myself over the last year. Iv achieved a lot and a great deal of things have changed, some for the better and some possibly for the worse. In the past few months Iv really noticed my irritability is increasing, everything annoys me, including myself. I’m not as close with my friends anymore as a lot of them are getting into serious relationships etc and understandably just don’t have the time they once had to hang out with friends whenever the mood strikes! I find myself questioning everything about my life, and worrying constantly that I’m running out of time (I’m 29).

I think on the outside most people would think I’m a very together, confident, happy person but it really couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m so indecisive about everything. I’ve been single for 4 and a half years now and every time I start dating someone new I either find something that puts me off them or I totally overthink everything and ruin the whole thing for myself. I feel constant worry and guilt over the smallest things. I’m always worried people are annoyed with me. I just think I’m a mess at the moment but nobody has any idea and I genuinely don’t know what I can do to change things.

I already go to counseling, which I do find helpful but it doesn’t really seem to be doing much for my overall feelings of flatness with life. I exercise daily, do yoga and practice mindfulness/meditate when i can. I eat healthy most of the time but allow myself to get take aways etc when im in the mood! Im an emergency nurse, my job can be quite stressful and i go from day shift to night shift regularly which i dont think helps at all but theres not really anything i can do about that for now.

I’m not sure if maybe medication is the next route I should explore? I was on antidepressants years ago when I was going through a really hard time, but that was totally different, I couldn’t get out bed in the morning. I’m fully able to function, go to work, maintain a social life etc.. I just don’t think I really enjoy any of it. Would medication work in that context? Does anybody else feel this way?

good for you- to keep aim at taking care of yourself.. especially dealing with such a job and having shifts :/..ugh!

THAT is one challenge that could get to you,.

YOu may be correct with the high functioning depression.

No.. you are not OLD.. so dont worry if your ability to get a decent relationship is not yet there for you.

Still young :).

Are you okay with just friends? Do you have some to hang with.. when you are off work? Good to be able to

socialize.. to try & stay kinda sane.

Maybe you should try some therapy? And journal helps too...any pets? Or hobbies?

Especially if you find that irritability etc going on inside.. and possibly due to the stressors in your Life.

shift work and mentally /emotionally demanding job.

Just so you can keep up with your lifestyle.

Well, you're worrying about a lot of things. A prescription for a small dose of Zoloft might help. You might try some meditation or yoga, which could have a similar effect. Since you have a stressful job, you might want to have a drink or two at night when you come home (but don't mix it with the Zoloft). I think you're probably stressed rather than depressed. Deep breaths can also help when you feel this way.

Iv really noticed my irritability is increasing, everything annoys me, including myself.

Do you consume caffeine? In ever knew that the little bit of coffee or tea I consumed daily was having such an impact on my physical and mental health. One afternoon I had palpitations and got scared. I switched to decaf everything, and the results were nearly immediate and like a sedative. A good sedative. I felt like myself again.

I hope you'll feel better soon.

Archived