Book recommendations?

Just got done with “Getting last your breakup” by Susan Elliot. Was decent. Any other book recommendations on breakup recovery, codependency, stages of grief etc etc that helped you?
Conscious Loving by Hendricks is the stone cold nuts.

Thanks, I’ll add it to the list! “The No Contact Rule by Natalie Lue was a good read as well. Had some good quotes

you

“NC is a means of mentally, emotionally, and physically distancing yourself from somebody so that you can gain perspective, grieve the loss of the relationship, and take back control of yourself and rebuild your life so you can move on”

“When one of your biggest concerns is whether it’s permanent, it’s a sign that you really need to focus on the process and dealing with your own life not theirs. You’re still too invested and you need to shuffle around your priorities”

“I can mend your broken heart” by Paul McKenna & Hugh Willbourn. It’s written quite “scientifically” (for want of a better phrase) and also includes a hypnosis/meditation CD.

Also “It’s called a breakup because it’s broken” by Greg Behrendt & Amiira Ruotola-Behrendt. That’s aimed at women mainly, but it’s humorous and full of uplifting stuff, so it made me laugh at least. It’s good to pick up and read a few passages when you’re feeling low, or like you want to break NC!

Good luck!

Cubby, I just want to say my heart goes out to you. I've read some of your posts and they made me remember a time when my relationship ended. It's been years but I remember the pain very well.

I made the mistake of playing it cool, hanging out with him a few times afterwards. Acting like I was ok and pretended to be a friend. What you're doing is the absolute right thing, and if I could go back in time I'd go completely NC. Time does heal all wounds. You might not think it'll happen, but take it day by day. Set small goals, even if it's not thinking about her for an hour. I'd ban thoughts of him from my brain as soon as they crept up as a mental excersise and it helped me a lot. I also started obsessively reading the hunger games. You will be fine!

How Children Succeed by Paul Tough. It's a developmental psychology book, laden with research/sources but it reads pretty casually, that goes into detail on how socioeconomic conditions, school conditions, teaching styles, and familial/cultural components go into kids' success in school and after school.

It's obviously not related directly to breakups and healing, but aspectual to healing from a breakup are building your relationships with others (non-romantic relationships), developing more compassion, and understand how many great people are out there. Reading this book should help you with all of that. Plus it's interesting (another important part of healing is acknowledging that there's a lot of fulfilling/interesting things out there totally unrelated to relationships or your particular ex.)

... It's a personal goal of mine to get the entire world to read this book. Paul Tough should really start paying me..!

How we love by Yerkovich helped me discover and with clarity see my patterns, expectations and characteristics... I learned about myself, my mate(s), my parents and my past. Life Changing. Also Boundaries by Townsend and Cloud. I never knew it was a word until my 40s. Never had them growing up and wow...if only I had. Praying for your journey toward healing and wholeness.

Archived