Interviewing and was given bad advice from head hunter.

I had a interview last week and asked my head hunter how to answer the question they all ask: Why are you seeking new employment?

She told me to tell them that the compensation plan changed. I thought she must know and told them that. In the feedback, they felt I was moving jobs for money which was a negative. Basically it was the wrong answer for this company. I thought about it and thought, what is the best way to answer that question? Any suggestions?

I have been a manager, supervisor and worked from home and had my own business, I can work in teams or alone. They felt, by something I said which I can't figure out, that I relied to much on a manager for answers, which made no sense either. I rarely go to managers and am a pretty independent thinker. You can't run your own business or work from home without being self motivated and a problem solver. This interview was odd and way off base.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

The best way to answer the question is to be honest.

Why did you want a new job?

If you want a new job for growth opportunities, because you work from home and wanted to be part of a team again, you want to use your X skills that relate to your degree that you were not able to use at your current job, and the job you are applying for is more in that field, etc.

I've always answered that question by saying I was not being challenged enough, that I am looking for new opportunities wherein I can continue to learn and grow. And that my current job was no longer providing me with those opportunities.

Make sure you tell them how much you've enjoyed working at your current job, but are seeking something more challenging with an opportunity for growth.

I've been offered jobs on the spot! Not sure if it was because of that, but I've been told that is a good response.

Do not mention salary or benefits or anything to do with money!

Yeah, you always say you're looking for a new challenge. Or you say you want to change fields. Or you were always interested in working for that company. You never tell them that you're interested in making more money or better benefits. The interviewer probably stopped listening to you after that answer.

It makes me upset that the head hunter told me to say that. You think she would of known better. Should of listened to my gut on that. Oh well, live and learn.

I miss working for myself for sure. I am thinking of starting that up again.

Did you tell the HH about the feedback the company gave you?

She/he should know her advice sucked, and hopefully she never gives that advice again!.

I've never even studied Human Resources and have always known to never mention salary or money, unless *they* ask what salary you're seeking to make.

Even when asked, I usually just say market rate.

Human Resource professionals know how to research market rate and have always been fair.

Anyway, that job just wasn't meant to be.

But there will be other opportunities and you've learned!

You will get better with every interview!

Good luck!!

Archived