Like myself on pics, HATE myself on videos!

Jalapeno1234

I'm confused.

I am very happy with pictures of myself, I lost 2 stone in 2016 after battling a binge diet and haven't put the weight back on since. I'm 5'8, 25 and a female who weighs 50kg. People have compared me to models.

However

I absolutely HATE my facial expressions on videos. I find that I look like a man cos I take after my dad and when I speak or sing on camera, I can't help but think I'm the ugliest girl in the world. As soon as I take a picture though, I feel confident. I have an exciting competition coming up where I'll have to be filmed but I just did a take and feel like I look manly and horrible. Guess I'm just looking for positive mindsets or people who have experienced this before ...

Well, there are a lot of actors who literally refuse to watch their own movies because they can't stand the way they look. And these are people that everyone thinks are the most attractive people in the world. So I would say, don't take videos of yourself and don't look at anybody else's videos of you. Also, I would say that everybody is self-conscious of themselves and you shouldn't stress about it.

Personal Growth...

Use this as an opportunity to explore why your body image is so important to you. Huge source of emotional anguish for so many people.

There's a difference between wanting to feel good in your body, and deriving your sense of self-worth from your body. The latter is dysfunctional and generally leads to and unstable sense of well-being for most of us.

Thanks for the replies guys. I read this in the middle of the night still feeling pretty sh*t about my face but it definitely helped. I had a few revelations over the past 24 hours too - I found a video of me with an old band I sang with (around 2015) and I actually found that I looked ok...the mic was covering my mouth though haha (I currently have braces too which has boosted my confidence quite a lot) but I am trying to just embrace my face and also focus on the fact that I am very content with my figure. I think the reason it is so important to me is cos generally, unless its music (Im a composer), I feel like Im a failure in EVERYTHING. I have a frequent case of emetophobia (this is what really started the weight loss when my ex got sick with a bug) and it totally weakened my inner confidence I found during my "best" years at college and university cos I was having minor but consistant panic attacks due to his IBS.. the ironic thing was it broke me mentally but fixed me physically, I dont binge eat anymore and I also stay under the weight I was when I was "chubby". But yeah, I literally suck at everything I do...I sucked at my past cleaning job, office job, relationships and exams. Woah, didnt realise how much I hated myself til now. BUT....I am also very proud of myself for achieving a degree in music and I got onto a masters course which I'll start shortly! I know its pathetic but when i get asked out/complimented for my looks on pictures I feel like its a sense of achievement, especially when its a crush..but then the reality sets in when I watch myself sing or speak..I just think "theyre dating a man" haha.

Archived