My ex broke up with me a month ago. I ceased all contact from day one and have unfollowed him on all social media. Haven't spoken to him/seen him once. I still find myself checking very often if he watches my instagram stories, he sees all of them. He still likes my photos. I know that blocking him is what is best for me since him seeing my posts is, in my mind, keeping him in my life. I'm still getting that "fix" of attention from him and it's keeping me from letting go completely. I am just so afraid of severing that last tie because it will be so painful accepting that he's totally gone. I know it seems immature to be hanging on to instagram... but it's all I have left of him. I know that when I block him, all ties will be severed and he will no longer be in my life in any capacity. I guess I'm just hoping from some words from you guys to let me know that blocking him won't destroy my life completely lol.

Treat it like a drug. You'll go through times when you're fine/sort of okay, & then times of withdrawal where you need that pick-me-up by checking him out. This can become a sort of habit. If you can't cut him off cold turkey, set goals for yourself like "ok today I'll only check once." Then expand it, "ok this week I will only check once." Eventually you'll wean off... This is how I did it. Years later, I still check up on some of them from time to time, but it's more curiosity & the emotional part isn't there anymore.

That's so true, treat it like a drug - alibabac took the words out of my mouth..or fingers. When you are changing a habit you have to give yourself time and cut yourself slack - BUT you also have to work at it to get to the other side of it. I used the note app on the phone. EVERY single time I wanted to write my ex I would write it on the phone app and sometimes even out loud I would say, I will send this tomorrow if I still feel so strongly about it. Tomorrow never came, it seemed that once I got it out of my head and then took some space between writing it and potentially sending it, I never felt the strong urge like I did when I had facebook or Instagram open to write and send automatically. i had a lot of notes that looking back i'm so glad i didn't send. Good luck and stay strong for yourself

Hi Gustavklimt,

Blocking him will be the first step on the next chapter of the rest of your life!

You will probably be down about it immediately afterwards, but then you will realise more and more each day that you have done the right thing.

Let him go and you will find happiness again.

I understand exactly how you feel. I went through that as well. There will still be times that you miss him, especially early in the breakup. But you need to cut ALL contact. When the likes and attention from him finally stop, (and it eventually will as time goes on and he meets someone else) you will find yourself regressing in the healing process. You find yourself wondering where he is focusing his attention now, etc.

Break ups are never easy. It's only natural to miss your ex at times. Just take it one day at a time. Strict no contact is the best way to go. Block and delete! Good luck to you.

so I deleted instagram from my phone on monday and haven't looked at it since. It actually feels very freeing knowing that the experiences I'm having and things I'm doing aren't going to be viewed/judged by other people. I'm just living for me and it's been wonderful. I do miss him, and I'm sure he's bothered by not knowing what I'm up to. Oh well. I think whenever I re-download instagram again I'll block him.

• 5 weeks later...

Well it's been over two months since he dumped me and today I finally blocked him. I cried a little bit for the first time in about three weeks.. it was hard to finally sever that last tie. But after I posted a photo of myself and he liked it without hesitation I decided I don't want to give him any insight into my life whatsoever. And I have a date with a really awesome guy this week. :) thanks for all of your replies

Well it's been over two months since he dumped me and today I finally blocked him. I cried a little bit for the first time in about three weeks.. it was hard to finally sever that last tie. But after I posted a photo of myself and he liked it without hesitation I decided I don't want to give him any insight into my life whatsoever. And I have a date with a really awesome guy this week. :) thanks for all of your replies

You are handling this breakup like a champ! Congrats for severing the last tie; you're finally hitting acceptance. I know it sucks but it's only uphill from here. You'll have some down days but overall you're going to start feeling a million times better. Go out and live your life to its fullest and eventually find someone who won't break your heart.

Archived