Like the title says, my dad is sexist. He says things like, "Women don't know how to manage time" or "Women just can't handle stuff like that". I can't stand the fact that my mom just sits there and listens to him. We're the only two women at home since my sister moved out and I feel so alone. I try to avoid talking to him but we're forced to have family dinner on Sundays and he always says something sexist. We argue about it and I always get shut down. He brings up stuff like "Women are scientifically incapable of blah blah blah ". When did he become a scientist? How does he come up with this stuff? He's also mildly racist, but that's a topic for another day.

My dad can be like this. Just ignore it and not let it get to you. Act like the only mature adult in the room while you're with him and it should be tolerable. Engagement leads to elaboration when someone is trying to reel you into a discussion. Shut it down through indifference.

I know how you feel Starstruck. My dad wasn't a sexist as far as I know, but my brother is. I honestly don't know what's worse.

The thing is, I've been having therapy lately and discovering all these things that harmed me, yet had no idea they were harmful. Some have their roots in sexism. Just saying that sometimes things get to us even when we try our best. Lately my answer to everything is therapy and although I'm projecting a lot, it's not that far from the truth.

It'shard to ignore, especially since you still live with him. It might be the only way though, until you get to move out. Ignoring helps me with my brother, but we live in different cities. Even when we meet up though, I avoid topics that can trigger him and to be honest, all topics drive him to say something sexist or racist, so I pretty much have kept our conversations around "light"matters, like the weather or his job or whatever and whenever he says something sexist I try not to fuel him further, bite my tongue, take a deep breath and change the subject or just continue like he never said anything. I do think he's doing it on purpose most of the times just to get a response out of me. Do you think your dad could be doing this too?

Since you're 17 and living at home, all you can do is walk away, shut it out, ignore it etc. Don't waste your time arguing debating etc. Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand like these two things:

my dad is sexist. He's also mildly racist.

He's probably doing it because he knows it gets a reaction. The best thing would be to figure out what makes him react, and then bring it up every time he says something like that. Which would then shut him up eventually. Then at least you don't feel powerless. Better than arguing, because your angry reaction is what he's looking for.

I understand you well; my father is sexist as well. However, there is no way to make them change the way they think so what the others have said is true, you should just let him say whatever he wants, trust me, I've been doing it with my dad for my entire life. Don't let it get to your head, I know it's hard to ignore because is your dad, but you know? It doesn't matter. You don't need his recognition. Just keep with your life and when you are able to leave home, do, and find a better place to be at.

Let me tell you one thing. There is something very funny about these sexist men. They say all these things but they can't stand a day without being "served" by a woman. They soooo crave women's love! They criticize women all the time, but they can't live without them.

Treating anyone like a second class citizen, servant or slave is not "love" it's hate. All prejudice is based on ignorance, arrogance and hate.

They say all these things but they can't stand a day without being "served" by a woman. They soooo crave women's love

Archived