What's the best way for a 16 year-old to learn English?

My brother's 16th b-day was last week and although he's American (he was born in Miami, FL), he's been living in Peru since he was 5. While my parents and I are probably stuck forever in Peru, my brother can always return to the US. However, what's the use if he doesn't know any English except few loose words? I'm concerned about his future job opportunities.

I've been trying to teach him but it hasn't brought positive results. All he's been doing is memorizing and he can barely pronounce simple verbs. Honestly, it really seems like I'm consuming hours of my time when it's likely he's going to fail the next exam. Students are taking an English course in his school, but no one is fluent at it.

They are currently teaching him present continuous, a/an, full complete sentence and when to apply any/some. That's already what someone in level 3/4 should know but IMO my brother needs to start all over from zero.

Well, I would say you've got to talk to him in English. Walk around and point to things and make him talk to you while correcting his mistakes. Get other people who know English to talk to him.

By the way, when your brother turns 18, he should be able to sponsor family members for immigrant visas if your family wants to move to the US.

The best teaching method I know so far is the CELTA method. Look for language schools that teach via this method, either in Peru or online. A free option (usually) is if there is a training school for teachers who want to get their CELTA degree, they usually offer English classes for free because they need students. Of course by definition (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults), it's targeted to adults, still, excellent learning method and there are teachers who apply this to children too. If there is a CELTA training center in Peru, I'm sure they will be glad to guide you.

A good English teacher doesn't need to be native, but it is good for the teacher not to speak Spanish with him. Direct translation is not a good way to go unless you've tried describing a word in every way and still one doesn't understand, which usually happens with beginners, even so, it should be the last resort.

Even while taking classes a fun way to learn basic words are post its. Sick post its on objects around the house with their name on it. Writing the verb along with it too. For example "Door- open/close, light- turn on/turn off"and so on.

Comic books, picture books, books around his level that he actually enjoys and songs with English lyrics. Cartoons/movies/tv series in English with no subtitles or English subtitles (or Spanish for starters).

There are sites line Duolingo https://en.duolingo.com/ and Italki https://www.italki.com/ that offer the basics and great motivation. Preply is a place where you can find English tutors https://preply.com/, they offer free sessions till you find a suitable tutor (and make some money by teaching Spanish if you're interested.

Another unconventional way to learn English, which you might not want to take him down that road, but if he is already a gamer it's a fast way, is online gaming. I really wouldn't recommend it, but again, if he is already a gamer and spends his time that way, I've seen A LOT of people learn English solely by that. MMORPGs have chats and there are people from all around the world playing. I've seen people force themselves to learn English just because they needed to finish a quest and the guide was written in English.

I have been volunteering as a tutor with a non profit, which offers one-to-one English conversation classes- been doing it for many years. One thing that is key, is to have a native English-speaking individual. If one is not a native English speaker, they will bring there own accent into the conversation, and will not recognize when words are not being pronounced correctly. The student needs to learn the correct way to pronounce words.

We also recommend that our students have English programs (radio and TV) on. Very helpful for learning a language and learning the correct pronunciation.

However, what's the use if he doesn't know any English except few loose words? I'm concerned about his future job opportunities.

I've been trying to teach him but it hasn't brought positive results.

It takes 5-7 years to master a language. So for your brother, it’s going to take some time.

When I used to be a teacher in a private school, I had a girl who came to the US from Guatemala at 15 who couldn’t speak a English at all. By her Senior year she was an AP Literature student (passed her exam too), spoke proficient English and was named valedictorian of her class. She busted her butt to learn English very quickly but managed to do so and she interned for the federal government. Got accepted at Fordham (BIG Ivy League school).

Everyone has shared excellent advice. Please be patient.

I have been volunteering as a tutor with a non profit, which offers one-to-one English conversation classes- been doing it for many years. One thing that is key, is to have a native English-speaking individual. If one is not a native English speaker, they will bring there own accent into the conversation, and will not recognize when words are not being pronounced correctly. The student needs to learn the correct way to pronounce words.

We also recommend that our students have English programs (radio and TV) on. Very helpful for learning a language and learning the correct pronunciation.

Isn't teaching such a fulfilling job?!! I'm an expat and a certified English teacher. Have taught immigrants, children and conversational English. Pronunciation is the least of one's problems when learning English and is easily corrected. When I'm teaching conversational English, most of my students choose me because they want to improve their listening skills as they converse with native English speakers. This is the only case in which I too would recommend a native. In all the other cases, I don't find it necessary and it really should be just a preference.

A good English teacher knows how to pronounce words correctly. Another thing to question, what is considered to be a native pronunciation? American? British? Australian? Jamaican? Their are so many countries where English is an official language. One of my best teachers, was a non native one. His accent was marvelous, yet not "native", but most importantly, his teaching skills. He captivates the class and motivates them in a unique way, while correcting them in the most positive way one can. There are many more skills that makes a good teacher than having a native pronunciation. He taught me how to teach and I'm grateful I witnessed him as a teacher and learned some of his skills.

All of that said, it's perfectly fine to seek a native English teacher, just not necessary.

edit to add: I find that a lot of my students struggle to perfect their pronunciation and actually feel bad about it not being native. This adds unnecessary stress and takes time off the things they should be studying in order to be able to hold a conversation. Focusing too much on pronunciation is actually demotivating. The goal should be a simple, clear pronunciation; no need for the "r" to be an American "r" for example, a fine strong Spanish one is sufficient.

My wife is an ELL (English language learner) coordinator for a 75% ELL district.

She has some issues with native speakers teaching because they typically rely on a more intuitive understanding of the language.

So it is sometimes harder for them to give textbook explanations of when you do certain things or not linguistically.

The issues she has with people in her program that are native Spanish speakers (her predominate ELLs are Spanish speakers) and trying to teach English is that they sometime rely on their knowledge of the language to help, which commonly backfires and slows their learning progression.

But a lot of times their systemic understanding is superior to a native speaker.

But she thinks there are pros and cons to both. She is responsible for thousands of ELLs too. She likes having both types.

So I would access the easiest helpful resource for you.

In Peru that will likely be a non native English speaker or and online course.

But ultimately if he doesnt put in the effort it won't matter.

People don't get fluent and even struggle conversationally because they don't practice what they learn in school. If you're spending your time teaching him vocabulary, you're wasting his best resource: you. You are likely as close to immersion as he can get right now, so what I'd be doing is strictly speaking English around him (or at least as strictly as you can while functionally living together) while he takes it upon himself to study. There are too many independently obtainable resources nowadays to have someone sitting down coaching someone through vocabulary and conjugation (though there's no harm in helping with some fundamentals and irregulars).

At the end of the day, he's either motivated or he isn't, and I'd try not to make him learning it your cross to bear. It's going to be his own life decision to make. If he's not motivated now, he may become so another day, particularly as he gets closer to graduating secondary school and perhaps discovers the scholarship and grant options he'd likely have available should he decide to explore an education here. I haven't personally done the research, but I'd be shocked if there weren't aid programs tailored to US citizens born here but raised abroad, particularly those in Latin America.

My brother's 16th b-day was last week and although he's American (he was born in Miami, FL), he's been living in Peru since he was 5. While my parents and I are probably stuck forever in Peru, my brother can always return to the US. However, what's the use if he doesn't know any English except few loose words? I'm concerned about his future job opportunities.

I've been trying to teach him but it hasn't brought positive results. All he's been doing is memorizing and he can barely pronounce simple verbs. Honestly, it really seems like I'm consuming hours of my time when it's likely he's going to fail the next exam. Students are taking an English course in his school, but no one is fluent at it.

They are currently teaching him present continuous, a/an, full complete sentence and when to apply any/some. That's already what someone in level 3/4 should know but IMO my brother needs to start all over from zero.

Just because he can go to the United States doesn't mean he has to. He can live a full life in Peru. (does he even WANT to, or do you just think he should?"_ If he does go to the United States, there are some countries where if you obtain a US passport, you forfeit your citizenship in the country you have lived in (Peru) and will have difficulty should you decide to go back and live with your family. I don't know if that's true of Peru, but i know it can be in other countries.

Isn't teaching such a fulfilling job?!! I'm an expat and a certified English teacher. Have taught immigrants, children and conversational English. Pronunciation is the least of one's problems when learning English and is easily corrected. When I'm teaching conversational English, most of my students choose me because they want to improve their listening skills as they converse with native English speakers. This is the only case in which I too would recommend a native. In all the other cases, I don't find it necessary and it really should be just a preference.

A good English teacher knows how to pronounce words correctly. Another thing to question, what is considered to be a native pronunciation? American? British? Australian? Jamaican? Their are so many countries where English is an official language. One of my best teachers, was a non native one. His accent was marvelous, yet not "native", but most importantly, his teaching skills. He captivates the class and motivates them in a unique way, while correcting them in the most positive way one can. There are many more skills that makes a good teacher than having a native pronunciation. He taught me how to teach and I'm grateful I witnessed him as a teacher and learned some of his skills.

All of that said, it's perfectly fine to seek a native English teacher, just not necessary.

edit to add: I find that a lot of my students struggle to perfect their pronunciation and actually feel bad about it not being native. This adds unnecessary stress and takes time off the things they should be studying in order to be able to hold a conversation. Focusing too much on pronunciation is actually demotivating. The goal should be a simple, clear pronunciation; no need for the "r" to be an American "r" for example, a fine strong Spanish one is sufficient.

I only do it on a volunteer basis. I really love it. I have learned so much from out students, as they come from so many different cultures. Have made some very special friends through the project.

i am working with intermediate level student, so this is why we feel that pronunciation is very important. It is one of the biggest struggles I have with students. My current student is from Japan, and there is a continuous struggle with the r's and l's. I am simply going from my own experience with the program. For a beginner, vocabulary is so important. I have heard so many stories from our students, as to how they were taught by a local teacher, and learned very little. Perhaps, the locals had limited levels in English. I am just going from what my students have told me.

I think all would be good, as long as the accent is not difficult to understand. We have tutors from Canada, UK, Australia and the US. Any English speaking country. I would want not someone with a deep creole accent teaching, as this is even difficult for me to understand.

We are not trying to get them to speak perfect English, we simply want them to be understood. If they can practice tongue placement and mouth movements, it is very helpful. Our students want to know these things, as this is why they are taking the class. To be understood.

My wife is an ELL (English language learner) coordinator for a 75% ELL district.

She has some issues with native speakers teaching because they typically rely on a more intuitive understanding of the language.

So it is sometimes harder for them to give textbook explanations of when you do certain things or not linguistically.

The issues she has with people in her program that are native Spanish speakers (her predominate ELLs are Spanish speakers) and trying to teach English is that they sometime rely on their knowledge of the language to help, which commonly backfires and slows their learning progression.

But a lot of times their systemic understanding is superior to a native speaker.

But she thinks there are pros and cons to both. She is responsible for thousands of ELLs too. She likes having both types.

So I would access the easiest helpful resource for you.

In Peru that will likely be a non native English speaker or and online course.

But ultimately if he doesnt put in the effort it won't matter.

I totally agree with the "textbook" stuff. I have a difficult time trying to explain why things are done a certain why.

@Hollyj

I struggle with that too! thealchemist was right about that; we know when something is wrong, just can't explain why sometimes. I swear by these books: Practical English Usage 'International Student's Edition' by Michael Swan and Grammar for English Language Teachers by Martin Parrot. You should check them out if you aren't already familiar with them! Also, since you do teach students from different nationalities, this is a handbook that explains the difficulties, interesting read: Learner English 'A teacher's guide to interference and other problems' by Michael Swan and Bernard Smith.

Apparently when it comes to grammar and books, the bird is the word lol!

@Hollyj

I struggle with that too! thealchemist was right about that; we know when something is wrong, just can't explain why sometimes. I swear by these books: Practical English Usage 'International Student's Edition' by Michael Swan and Grammar for English Language Teachers by Martin Parrot. You should check them out if you aren't already familiar with them! Also, since you do teach students from different nationalities, this is a handbook that explains the difficulties, interesting read: Learner English 'A teacher's guide to interference and other problems' by Michael Swan and Bernard Smith.

Apparently when it comes to grammar and books, the bird is the word lol!

UGH. I feel like an idiot when I cannot explain the reasoning for something. I either look it up, or have to say that it is simply the way it is. I wish I could remember the basics.

Thank you for all of the great reference books. My dear Japanese student is moving to LA. I will be starting with a Persian student in a few weeks. It is time to learn her issues :)

Just because he can go to the United States doesn't mean he has to. He can live a full life in Peru. (does he even WANT to, or do you just think he should?"_ If he does go to the United States, there are some countries where if you obtain a US passport, you forfeit your citizenship in the country you have lived in (Peru) and will have difficulty should you decide to go back and live with your family. I don't know if that's true of Peru, but i know it can be in other countries.

Not entirely sure how it is in Peru, but i know that in Mexico, well off families tend to send their kids to a foreign country to learn a bit english for a year or two. Doesn't really have to be in the United States. Some families opt to send them to the UK or someone where else abroad. These are usually the families that has a lot of money and able to do these things while enrolling them into some type of exchange programs.

Getting visa's for school is a bit easier but doesn't mean that it is cheap. So if he was born in the United States and able to enter without having a visa the cost could go down a bit plus whatever hassle you would have to go through getting the visa.

Also the Visa process is incredibly slow, in order to get into a college for like a summer program or even a school year or so, you would need to be able to speak some english. This would be the main problem for them as he doesn't know any or that's what I gather from the information that she has posted.

As for someone mentioning sponsoring families through him into the United States. The process for this is even slower, years it will take to get them a green card and the initial green card would only be 2 years and then a 10year green card. The main contributing factor in obtaining a green card is actually a lot of things but you have to have money in your bank account and show that you will not be a freeloader in the country. I mention this because I don't think that the OP post was because they are worried about university. In fact if I had to guess (just guessing for real nothing more) the OP was probably in the United States at some point in time. Rather it was documented or not documented I will not go into. Because most well off families would of already hired an outside of the family tutor if this was the ultimate plan.

Though back to the point of how to learn English at that age. You really need to be in the environment to be able to learn quickly as possible. Children are amazing and can learn other languages easily at a young age. He just needs to be in the environment that constantly speaks English and force him to think/speak it all the time. I don't think the vocabulary portion would be the portion that I would be concerned about. It's just words and memorizing definition. The hardest part to get around would be to learn sentence structure. It is hard to make a complete sentence due to the way Spanish is spoken from English. As for slangs that gets used, turn on the T.V. (English) for some bad English

Not entirely sure how it is in Peru, but i know that in Mexico, well off families tend to send their kids to a foreign country to learn a bit english for a year or two. Doesn't really have to be in the United States. Some families opt to send them to the UK or someone where else abroad. These are usually the families that has a lot of money and able to do these things while enrolling them into some type of exchange programs.

Getting visa's for school is a bit easier but doesn't mean that it is cheap. So if he was born in the United States and able to enter without having a visa the cost could go down a bit plus whatever hassle you would have to go through getting the visa.

Also the Visa process is incredibly slow, in order to get into a college for like a summer program or even a school year or so, you would need to be able to speak some english. This would be the main problem for them as he doesn't know any or that's what I gather from the information that she has posted.

As for someone mentioning sponsoring families through him into the United States. The process for this is even slower, years it will take to get them a green card and the initial green card would only be 2 years and then a 10year green card. The main contributing factor in obtaining a green card is actually a lot of things but you have to have money in your bank account and show that you will not be a freeloader in the country. I mention this because I don't think that the OP post was because they are worried about university. In fact if I had to guess (just guessing for real nothing more) the OP was probably in the United States at some point in time. Rather it was documented or not documented I will not go into. Because most well off families would of already hired an outside of the family tutor if this was the ultimate plan.

Though back to the point of how to learn English at that age. You really need to be in the environment to be able to learn quickly as possible. Children are amazing and can learn other languages easily at a young age. He just needs to be in the environment that constantly speaks English and force him to think/speak it all the time. I don't think the vocabulary portion would be the portion that I would be concerned about. It's just words and memorizing definition. The hardest part to get around would be to learn sentence structure. It is hard to make a complete sentence due to the way Spanish is spoken from English. As for slangs that gets used, turn on the T.V. (English) for some bad English

When I referred to the "TV," I was referring to the news where proper English is spoken. I have had had numerous students and friends that used this as a method to learn.

When I referred to the "TV," I was referring to the news where proper English is spoken. I have had had numerous students and friends that used this as a method to learn.

It wasn't a jab at the post you've made. I am serious as to watching some American T.V. to learn some bad English and some slang.

It wasn't a jab at the post you've made. I am serious as to watching some American T.V. to learn some bad English and some slang.

I agree that there is a lot of poor English on most TV.

After, the recent incident , I am a bit on the defensive.

Just keep in mind:

English is one of the most challenging languages to master in the world. It’s not something one can learn in a couple years. Also some psychological studies have found that if you are not exposed to speaking a second language at a young age, it is a greater struggle after the age of 10 to learn another language because our brains are already “pre-wired” with the home language.

I taught in the national migrant education program and on the secondary level. The older children (teens) significantly struggle in language acquisition in comparison to the elementary age kids. Think about it: most American high school students start taking language courses at a minimum of 2 years and they are not proficient by the time they graduate either. It doesn’t work that way when learning a new language so late in the game (especially when it takes 5+ years to learn it fluently). My husband also came from another country where he was taught bilingual education (Tagalog and English) at an early age before coming to the States and quickly exited out of the ESL program than the vast majority of his counterparts because of his previous acquisition of English. It also helped that Tagalog speakers have very similar morpheme system as the English language, which made faster acquisition for him.

OP you say you are worried about your brother not being able to find a job in the States due to a language barrier, but that is not necessarily true. Who do you think manages the kitchen at restaurants? Work in construction/contractors? Cleaning services? Bus/taxi services? Warehouses? Agricultural fields? Most of those workers do not speak English and learn while working entry/minimal jobs.

Duolingo is a great tool to learn another language, but they teach “textbook” language that doesn’t always transition into conversation level language. And sometimes they have bugs/errors in grammatical areas. Try learning a Scandinavian language on Duo and tell me how it helps (it jumps around in the vocabulary and is difficult to understand/speak the language at a faster rate).

I appreciate the replies I've gotten so far. I've thought about installing the duolingo app on his computer, which is the same program I'm currently using to improve my French as well as to learn Portuguese. There was a poster inquiring if we've lived in the USA at some point. The answer to that question is a yes. I've been in Miami, FL from Dec. 1991 to May 2007. I've been speaking English for 25 years.

If you're curious to know my story, here is my previous post: https://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549233

Moving on to the main topic regarding my brother, there are days he shows some interest in his country or at times even brags about being a US citizen to his classmates. I think it must be my teaching method that's making it harder for him to learn. My technique consists of these following steps done several times: vocabulary repetitions, pronunciations, reading the sentences and finally translating them to Spanish. In the beginning, there seems some motivation in him but by the next hour, he's already bored and sleepy.

Overall, I believe he wants to try but finds it challenging when he doesn't understand and gives up.

Well, I would say you've got to talk to him in English. Walk around and point to things and make him talk to you while correcting his mistakes. Get other people who know English to talk to him.

By the way, when your brother turns 18, he should be able to sponsor family members for immigrant visas if your family wants to move to the US.

I'll be talking to him more in English from now on. In regards to the sponsorship, I thought it was at the age of 21.

Archived