Does Regular Exercise Get Rid of Double Chin?

So I have an appointment set up tomorrow to do coolsculpting for this double chin I swear just grew in the past two years after my second kid. I'm not going to lie; with two kids, it's been a wash rinse repeat day to day, with very little time for myself.

I usually just go with things after some thought, but I'm having second thoughts on coolsculpting. My husband said if I kick start my metabolism, I can get rid of the double chin in a few months with exercise. Is this true, or do I have this chin from age (turned 40 on Monday), and just fat build-up that won't go away with diet and exercise.

Thoughts??? Yeah, I know, this is nothing to sweat over about; I just want to know my options. Thanks!

you won't notice it right away. Though you will over time. you will have to lose the fat around that area.

just remember you will gain weight in the beginning so don't deter you from working out. it is all part of the process.

Do the "lifestyle" change first. Save your money. Better off getting a gym membership and a good pair of runners. There is more benefit to exercise and eating properly....you get healthier, able to think and sleep better, and you will have more energy, less PMS and cramps. AND your libido will noticeably improve.

It depends on your genetics. I've seen very slim people who simply didn't have a jawline to speak of, so they were kinda damned with a double chin either way. But I think it's very, very rare someone is just stuck with one. I'd definitely adopt the lifestyle change prior to any form of cosmetic procedure. The worst that can happen is you get healthier.

I cancelled. I will just need to do what I gotta do to get a workout in. I'm just sometimes stuck in situations, like yesterday, planned on going at least for a bit. My eldest had a baseball game, which finished at 7:10. He played with his friends for 15 minutes. Then, by the time we would have gotten to the gym would have been 7:40, and the Kid's Club closes at 8pm. So not luck there. In mornings, I am the one that is there to get them to school and daycare, so that's out. I would love to just go. I love the gym. Working out at home means cleaning everything to move the massive toys the kids dump everywhere.

Well, my mental image of myself has finally caught up to me my actual weight / don't see myself as skinny this past year. I'm a size Medium, but I am built to be X-Small, and was 90% of my life. I like to imagine in a few months, my youngest will be in a dad phase, and I can just leave without feeling guilty.

I have very little time to work out as I have a family to take care of.

So I go for as efficient as possible.

In my opinion doing cardio and limiting calories doesn't work best for people with no time.

If I jog and improve, I am burning less calories each subsequent time I jog. As your body gets better at it you can do it much easier but to have the same amount of caloric burn you must increase pace or time.

Well I don't need an activity that requires more time the more I do it to get the same burn.

I am also doing the same program my wife is to help with her abdominal separation after the births of our children.

I do a power kettlebell set 3 times a week with my wife. It take about 5 or 6 minutes.

We also do a 2 minute "wake up and warm up" every morning.

So my wife spends about 30 minutes a week. She has lost over an inch of her separation and about 10 lbs in the 3 months we have done it.

I actually made this to cater to my wife trying to get back into shape after children.

We also changed our diet to a much more whole food and whole grain one. But no caloric limitations, just healthy food.

If you are at all interesting in more info just ask.

Some people even if they are fit have a weak chin or have the lack of definition in their neck. If you did not have a double chin, then had one when you gained weight, you can probably lose it unless the skin is really stretched. But if you are just one of those people with a weak chin or not much definition in the jaw line, its probably what it is.

I would try to lose weight before any sculpting to see where your proportions change. My sister when she gains weight it seems like its all in the face, where i am more even all over. i agree with your husband --- see how things improve for 6 months and then make a decision or even decide next year

If you can spend 20-30 minutes everyday for fast walking and cut 100-150 calories every week, you will succeed your goal pretty fast. Discipline is the difficult part here.

don't cut any calories yet, increase exercise first and just pay attention to what those calories are --- cut out the sugar, etc, and junk food you are eating for convenience and start cooking larger meals to have easy leftovers, or cut veggies etc to have snacks you can grab quickly, etc. Your metabolism will stall if your body is deprived. Check to make sure you are getting enough protein to be able to burn.

There are apps like My FitnessPal that are great -- just record your activity and goal weight - i would only have a goal of 10 lbs or less weightloss first and then increased it. I didn't really need to lose much weight but it taught me that i was actually starving myself with not enough calories and when i ate more calories of good foods i actually lost weight!

I cancelled. I will just need to do what I gotta do to get a workout in. I'm just sometimes stuck in situations, like yesterday, planned on going at least for a bit. My eldest had a baseball game, which finished at 7:10. He played with his friends for 15 minutes. Then, by the time we would have gotten to the gym would have been 7:40, and the Kid's Club closes at 8pm. So not luck there. In mornings, I am the one that is there to get them to school and daycare, so that's out. I would love to just go. I love the gym. Working out at home means cleaning everything to move the massive toys the kids dump everywhere.

Well, my mental image of myself has finally caught up to me my actual weight / don't see myself as skinny this past year. I'm a size Medium, but I am built to be X-Small, and was 90% of my life. I like to imagine in a few months, my youngest will be in a dad phase, and I can just leave without feeling guilty.

The only way I get in my (relatively short - 30-35 minute workout) 7 days a week is by making it a top priority I do not do strength training although I try to work out my arms while I power walk (either outside or on the treadmill). Get your husband's support in this -meaning -get up 45 minutes earlier than the kids - have your workout clothes by your side of the bed -have your water bottle filled in the fridge and your iphone ready to go with headphones if needed -then power walk or run outside for at least 30 minutes(even 20) - you can get dressed and be out the door in 10 minutes or less. Get it over with ASAP in the morning because life is busy and something will always come up. I am fortunate in that during a school week I can work out starting at 7:20am because when I go into the office I don't have to be there before 10am. On weekends I go as soon as my husband gets up. And if my husband is traveling I do the Leslie Sansome walk at home DVD and often my son helps me move things aside to make room -and we live in a small cluttered apartment. I use an exercise band and make it a higher intensity workout than how it's recommended because I only do it for 30 minutes or so.

I know the lack of strength training is an issue especially since I'm in my 50s but all else equal since I do cardio every day and skip one day a year I figure it's much better than noting. The other thing I do is make sure I move around a lot during the day. My commute to work includes another mile plus of brisk walking and when my son is around after school we often walk to the park and back, etc. Stay in motion, stay active -it all counts. And make it a top priority -no excuses - and yes your husband will need to be supportive too. I wouldn't try a gym because it takes too long to get there and back - find something you can do with your daily routine - no muss no fuss. Because I do this it clears my head, my um digestive system works better and I stay fit and slim. It really is worth it.

It depends on your genetics. I've seen very slim people who simply didn't have a jawline to speak of, so they were kinda damned with a double chin either way. But I think it's very, very rare someone is just stuck with one. I'd definitely adopt the lifestyle change prior to any form of cosmetic procedure. The worst that can happen is you get healthier.

^This. It’s mostly genetics. I have a moon-shaped facial features, exercised (cardio and weight training), and ate healthy foods... still got a slight double chin.

• 2 years later...

Following up a zillion years later.  I've lost 27.8 lbs so far using Noom since August 1st, and I walk anywhere from 20 min to 45 min every day with light weights, and eating 1200 calories per day.  Losing weight slowly and keeping it off. And I still have this damn fat neck chin. Le sigh.  I'm still using the program through February though.  Oh well - things could be worse. I've been working since the beginning of the pandemic with my industry, and me and all my family have remained COVID free.  The best thing I have learned so far in this pandemic is self-care is a top priority, and that lesson has taken me over 8 years to get.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season!

So I think for different people fat comes off (and is put on) differently.  For me I always noticed any extra pound on my stomach.  I've heard good things about Noom! Hope you are having a good holiday and yes "self care" although I'm not a fan of trendy terms and I find too often people define self care in very specific ways, especially moms. I do not and I know full well what I need for me time and often it looks nothing like what others need -and there's another challenge -asking for what you need even if it seems unusual or quirky.

I hope you continue to benefit from your health/fitness plan!  I've been health/fitness conscious since 1982 and dieted for years and no longer - no specific diets because there are too many downsides for me.  I did drag myself in for my annual physical last week -hate going to doctors during covid -and thank goodness all is well.

28 minutes ago, tattoobunnie said:

Following up a zillion years later.  I've lost 27.8 lbs so far using Noom since August 1st, and I walk anywhere from 20 min to 45 min every day with light weights, and eating 1200 calories per day.  Losing weight slowly and keeping it off. And I still have this damn fat neck chin. Le sigh.  I'm still using the program through February though.  Oh well - things could be worse. I've been working since the beginning of the pandemic with my industry, and me and all my family have remained COVID free.  The best thing I have learned so far in this pandemic is self-care is a top priority, and that lesson has taken me over 8 years to get.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season!

Way to go!! That is wonderful!!  

Very glad to hear you and your family are keeping safe. Happy holidays and merry Christmas to you too! 

My weight gets evenly distributed to my core, so between my shoulders and my thighs.  But no matter how skinny I get (and I am seriously skinny right now) my upper arms always have some extra on them.  It's always been that way.

I know liposuction is an option but that's a "no" for me.  Maybe you could get sculpting done if you really want to?

Archived