No carbs or sugar

I’m starting my third week of no carbs and no sugar. I’ve been exercising 4 times a week and stayed active every day. The only carbs I eat are from vegetables. I’m a little disappointed that I haven’t lost any weight. I need to lose 10-15 pounds and I’ve seen no change even though I’ve drastically changed my diet and workout routine. Any advice?

Without knowing your exact diet details, simply cutting carbs out isn't going to be what gets you losing weight. An energy deficit, regardless of your source of macronutrients, is what's going to matter. If you cut cut carbs but substitute enough fat in, there's no net benefit in terms of intake.

You could also be taking in too many carbs to induce ketosis, which is what I'm assuming the aim is. I don't know what veggies you're taking in, though.

Is there a particular reason you're going with a completely different diet rather than modifying what you're already accustom to? You'd be at a pretty high risk of regaining whatever you do lose.

Yes, be patient. Go over your diet and see how many calories you take in per day, maybe you can cut back some more. I have t2 diabetes and therefore carbs are my enemy. I do my best to keep them low, but it's difficult to do. Maybe you need to ramp up your exercise to more than 4 times a week. Walk more, ride a bike, go swimming.

Also what veggies are you eating? Some have a lot of carbs like potatoes and carrots to name a few. Generally root veggies have more starch/carbs.

Google the glycemic index for the carb count of pretty much any food you can think of, it's eye opening.

Hi kaybdjekex, dieting for me has usually been a "calories in minus calories out" type of thing. Here's a really good article on dieting that helped me understand matters better.

Other than that, have you been to a nutritionist or doctor? How long have you been dieting for?

Sometimes we gain weight due to medical conditions. I am hoping this isn't your case, but it's best to make sure.

Without knowing your exact diet details, simply cutting carbs out isn't going to be what gets you losing weight. An energy deficit, regardless of your source of macronutrients, is what's going to matter. If you cut cut carbs but substitute enough fat in, there's no net benefit in terms of intake.

You could also be taking in too many carbs to induce ketosis, which is what I'm assuming the aim is. I don't know what veggies you're taking in, though.

Is there a particular reason you're going with a completely different diet rather than modifying what you're already accustom to? You'd be at a pretty high risk of regaining whatever you do lose.

I’m staying under 20 net carbs and mostly eating spinach, green beans and other low carb vegetables when it comes to carbs. I’m having trouble eating enough calories actually. I usually eat between 800-1100 calories a day and I always burn 2500-3000 a day

Yes, be patient. Go over your diet and see how many calories you take in per day, maybe you can cut back some more. I have t2 diabetes and therefore carbs are my enemy. I do my best to keep them low, but it's difficult to do. Maybe you need to ramp up your exercise to more than 4 times a week. Walk more, ride a bike, go swimming.

Also what veggies are you eating? Some have a lot of carbs like potatoes and carrots to name a few. Generally root veggies have more starch/carbs.

Google the glycemic index for the carb count of pretty much any food you can think of, it's eye opening.

Spinach, green beans sometimes broccoli but no vegetables that are high in carbs. So no potatoes or carrots or any starchy ones. I’m eating probably half the calories I burn every day, if not less half than less than. It’s hard for me to eat enough calories on this diet, but i had assumed that would help me lose weight but apparently not.

How much do you weigh? You should be talking to a doctor if you're trying to burn that many calories in a week. That's a pretty insane deficit by any metric. Why are you doing this anyhow?

Well I’m not trying to eat that little I just feel full from what I eat all day so I don’t eat very much. And I’m 5’10 and weigh 148. I’m not “overweight” I just want to lose weight so I can be happy with myself. And talking to a doctor would take forever to get an appointment

Well I’m not trying to eat that little I just feel full from what I eat all day so I don’t eat very much. And I’m 5’10 and weigh 148. I’m not “overweight” I just want to lose weight so I can be happy with myself. And talking to a doctor would take forever to get an appointment
To be frank, you should be talking to a doctor. Losing 10,000+ calories a week when you're at a perfectly healthy weight isn't something any of us can ethically be providing you advice on. Do you have a history of eating disorders or body dysphoria?

Is it possible that you cut calories too fast and caused your body to be in starvation mode, thus unable to drop weight? If the body is feeling it is not getting proper nutrition, it will hold onto fat instead of burning it.

Maybe you need to go slower on the calorie cut and exercising. It supposed to take months to lose weight in a healthy manner, not weeks.

Have you lost inches and or is your body changing shape?

There are a number of factors that might cause you to hold on to weight or adipose tissue... stress, cortisol, lack of sleep, type of exercise, perimenopause, yo-yo dieting. It’s rarely as simple as taking in fewer calories, especially as we get older.

EDITED TO ADD: Not eating carbs and sugar or being in ketosis is not a magic wand for fat loss. Genetics play a huge part in how we respond to the foods we eat, as does our environment... this is why one size fits all approaches often cause frustration in those that don’t see immediate results.

OP, if you are too drastic, your body isn't going to lose fat. The opposite, actually. It will attempt to hang on to fat, and you could instead lose lean muscle mass. It's also not a very sustainable eating plan in the long-run so you would be likely to gain back any weight you lose.

Is this the keto diet you're trying?

What sort of fitness plan do you follow?

I've been in your shoes. I was hearing all these great reviews about low carb diets etc. How everyone lost 20 pounds on their first week etc. I did follow one for two months and I didn't lose half a pound. Thing is, the more weight you need to lose, the faster and easier it comes off, even after one week. You don't have to lose that much weight, so you won't likely be seeing results on the scale for another 3 months or more. Doesn't matter though, as long as you are feeling better.

I do however suffer from and eating disorder and probably body dysmorphia on which I'm currently working on. If you think you have an unhealthy view of your body, you should look into therapy too.

I would only do this diet if you really believe you can do it for life and if you're willing to add in some protein (which I didn't see as part of your regimen). If this is not a complete lifestyle change my guess is once you go back to your past eating habits you'll gain it back and then some.

If you want to lose weight -like 10 pounds or so (because you seem to be a healthy weight already) I would recommend a lifestyle program like Weight Watchers.

Fad diets rarely work and simply wreak havoc with your health and metabolic rate. Get to a health care provider and get a thyroid test and full physical, blood work, etc.. Also get yourself a trained nutritionist and physical trainer so you stop damaging your body. Even you're in your early twenties you are still doing damage. Now is the time to learn good habits so you don't develop eating problems and image issues.

Wow, dude I'm 5'9 and weigh about as much as you...as a woman. This is a healthy weight at my height and gender, with muscle. You are going to starve yourself if you want to drop 10-15 pounds. What is your goal? To look better physically? This goal of yours doesn't seem health related because you are wanting to drop your weight nearly to the underweight category.

Archived