Still vomiting. Close to finishing 2nd Trimester

Snny

I had suffered with a condition called hyperemesis gravidarum early in my pregnancy. I have been in and out of the hospital for IV injections, was on bed rest for over a month and lost 25 lbs. Absolute hell. I have never been so sick in my entire life until I decided to have a baby and I am already having massive regrets. I have been on many prenatal medications before to stop the vomiting until my doctor hesitantly put me on a generic Zofran medication. It was the only medication that works. I was eating more foods again (including meats, fresh fruits and vegetables), was able to take vitamins (Flintstones twice a day... prenatal vitamins caused nausea), and was about to drink water, milk, decaf tea, and some juices. My optimism rapidly picked up because I was no longer sickly. Most importantly, I was able to go back to work and function!

Last week I tried to get a refill on the medication. Doctor refused to put me back on it saying there were some small cases of birth defects that could happen to my baby that was associated with the medication I was taking (but there hasn’t been enough evidence proving it does from the research I’ve done). She switches the medication to something with “less risk.” I agree to it because I should be fine, I’m less than one month away from my third trimester.

After being on the new medication for several days I am back to feeling like I’m in my first trimester with excessive vomiting. I now vomit 2-3 times a day. I can’t eat the foods I was able to do. I come home from work wanting to rest just like I was in my 1st T. I know this past week was stressful with a job evaluation and house hunting, but they are over/coming to a resolution, and I have woke up in the middle of the night twice to puke my guts, and there are globs of blood because of the stomach acids are agitating my throat. I had to give up going to the movie theater with my husband this weekend because I am so afraid I’ll vomit in the middle of the theater and make a scene (it’s the new Avengers, TONS of people will be witnessing me having an episode). I don’t think my vomiting is entirely contributed to stress if I had to wake up in the middle of the night.

I’m seeing my doctor in a couple days. She has not given me a very good impression during my several visits that I’m seriously thinking about switching with a new doctor. I really want the original medication back I was on even though there’s a risk of birth defect. I already feel like a terrible mother, but I am getting to a point I may not be able to function. I need to eat. I need to be able to take vitamins without turning around to puke them out. My baby could be in greater risk if her mother is malnourished from excessive vomiting. I have spoke to two of my coworkers who have been on the same medication with their pregnancies and have told me that their children are fine.

Suggestions please on what I do with my doctor this week. I am ready to reem her out and let her have it. And if any women has suffered the same condition, how do I get other this for the next 3.5 months?

I feel sorry for you. I was the same . I vomited close to 20 times a day for 7 months and my dr refused me any kind of medication. He didn’t believe in medication in most cases . It was absolutely horrible . My son ended up at 6 pounds 10 ounces and I had lost 45 pounds .

I would ask your doctor to put you back on the medication that stopped the vomiting and you were able to function . I would also tell them you’re prepared find another doctor if she’s not willing .

I will tell you though one of my other pregnancies I had no nausea at all . I might have felt nauseous maybe twice in the first trimester but no throwing up at all .

I feel for you. I had the same - went through it with both my children. I was sick for the full 9 months. I ended up in hospital, on IV for 3 months with my son. I couldn't even keep down water. Lost a lot of weight. With my daughter I ended up in hospital on IV for 2 months. Both babies were born extremely underweight and in fact weighed less than premature babies born at 8 months. It was the most horrendous experience I have ever had in my entire life. It was absolutely debilitating. Just thinking about it gives me nightmares.

That was a very long time ago. I have no answers for you because so much has changed over the years. I can only echo Seraphim's post above: "I would ask your doctor to put you back on the medication that stopped the vomiting and you were able to function . I would also tell them you’re prepared find another doctor if she’s not willing"

Doctor put my daughter on Diclectin for both her preganancy because she vomited excessively through the first two trimesters. No birth defects in either child. Kate Middleton was on the same drug for all three of her pregnancies as well. I'm surprised the doctors at the hospital didn't suggest it to you because that's how my daughter found out about it and her primary care doctor just kept her on it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medeffect-canada/safety-reviews/summary-safety-review-assessing-diclectin-doxylamine-pyridoxine-combination-safety-pregnancy.html

In 2013, the US FDA authorized Diclegis (US equivalent to Diclectin) for the treatment of nausea and vomiting in pregnant women as a "Category A drug" (the safest for use in pregnant women). This drug approval was supported by historical and recent data.

My question though... am I bad mother for wanting to take a nausea medication that could potentially cause birth defects?? I want to do what is right for my baby, but I have to survive too. I am having a very difficult deciding what’s the best course of action here.

And I feel so messed up for admitting this... especially as a Catholic... but abortion did cross my mind in my first trimester because I seriously thought I was going to die. I feel that physically and mentally, I am not fit for pregnancy and it’s creating a lot of doubt if I will actually be a good mother.

I was on Diclectin. It worked for a week and then lost its effect. Zofran is the only medication that has worked.

I’m at a point that I need to request another meeting with my supervisor this week. He was kind enough to let me off for a month and a half and that I was showing health improvements... and now I’m regressing back. I’m doing everything I can possibly do and am scared to lose my job over my health issues. I never had health issues impact me and I cannot afford to lose my job (especially when my health benefits are coming from it). I want to return back to work after the baby...

For your baby to be well, YOU have to be well. Protecting your health IS protecting your baby. “ May” cause a defect and will cause one are different. Things can go awry without taking a thing. You don’t need to feel guilty protecting your health. Because that is protecting your child .

How did Diclectin stop working after a week? Were you taking it as prescribed and you just started barfing again or did you go off of it? Did you tell the doctor so he could adjust your dose?

My daughter went on Zofran as well as Diclectin with her first. You really need to go back to a doctor (maybe a new one) and get a second opinion. Maybe even get him to fill out short term disability paperwork if you're too sick to work. If you have benefits then you may qualify for short term disability?

Update: I had a lengthy discussion with my doctor and it resulted me asking her straight up, “which is better, medication that doesn’t have hard evidence for birth defects or I deliver an underweight baby?”

We settled on Diclectin and agreed to see how well it works for a few days, or I contact her and get a different prescription. No risk of birth defects, win-win. It is working!! I’m eating and drinking again without any vomiting. I’m not trusting greasy, fried, or fast food (even the smell is extremely unpleasant) but I can at least eat a turkey sandwich without my stomach turning. I can also drink a small glass of milk or orange juice too! It’s seriously amazing.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Update: I had a lengthy discussion with my doctor and it resulted me asking her straight up, “which is better, medication that doesn’t have hard evidence for birth defects or I deliver an underweight baby?”

We settled on Diclectin and agreed to see how well it works for a few days, or I contact her and get a different prescription. No risk of birth defects, win-win. It is working!! I’m eating and drinking again without any vomiting. I’m not trusting greasy, fried, or fast food (even the smell is extremely unpleasant) but I can at least eat a turkey sandwich without my stomach turning. I can also drink a small glass of milk or orange juice too! It’s seriously amazing.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Something me and my wife had to come to grips with as parents...

Trying to be a perfect parent will not ever work. If you try to put them above everything and neglect yourself you will only hurt them in the end.

You have to stay sane. If you work so hard and stress out trying to do everything perfect you will start to counter your efforts.

If you need a medication to function and eat then if there is a side effect you just weigh the options. There is not a perfect answer.

Underweight baby and miserable mom versus a very small and not totally proven side effect? I would take the small risk.

If mom is miserable baby cannot be doing well.

This gets even more important after they are born.

Best of luck.

I spent a lot of time running and grabbing the trash for my wife. I feel for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeesh, what a conundrum (to put it mildly). I, personally, would err on the side of caution - Zofran in pregnancy scares me. That being said, I didn't have HG while pregnant - just bad all-day MS the first trimester. So I didn't go through what you are.

Not sure what to tell you, mama, other than do what you think is best.

• 8 months later...
Don't worry. All women have different mood swings and body changes when they're pregnant. Some experience vomiting till the end of their 2nd trimester. But if you are still confusing then consult with your healthcare professional. He will advise you better than others.

Her baby is almost 5 months old now.

I was placed on a medication that had evidence it could cause issues with the infant because I went into pre-term labor at only 22 weeks pregnant.

I was able to carry my baby to 37 weeks. So we did OK.

My doctor concluded the risk of giving birth at 22 weeks and having a baby with underdeveloped lungs, extremely low birth weight, etc. was greater than the chance of birth defects.

My child is doing well (adult child now!). There was some minimal effects on his central nervous system but he is intelligent and happy and a productive member of society with a good career.

I am happy things are better for you.

Archived