career change.. have you done it?

hello!

how did yall feel about switching careers? what made you do it?

pros old job:

1) established name in the community (easier to find replacement jobs in my chosen field)

2) job security in current position

3) above average pay for position i'm in

4) one good perk from job (unlimited, but unpaid vacation days to wanderlust)

5) personal office (no need to leave work to do

6) parking availability at work

7) ability to practice clinical work

8) very lax work environment

cons:

1) no forward advancement

2) slow burnout (job is becoming redundant/ harder because of state regulations)

potential new job pros

1) always wanted to work in marketing/business, never had opportunity

2) higher pay

3) better benefits

4) new experience

5) less state regulated policies to adhere to

6) expand contact base

7) attend a lot of conferences/ social events

cons

1) Quota/sales (biggest Con)

2) less job security since new

3) mostly independent work (no team)

4) travelling position (limited office time)

5) professional freedom (i'm going to have to consistently report to my supervisor. job right now has no idea what i do)

6) professional environment

Side note:

i have several back up plans if i take new job and it doesnt pan out.

1) i can switch to the clinical department of the new company and practice mental health if marketing job doesnt feel good for me after a year

2) if i don't like their clinical department i can work for ride sharing company (uber or lyft) for the meantime

3) i'm pursuing my clinical license. by the time i am halfway into my probation for the new company, i would have received my clinical license. i can therefore start a private practice and run a different path altogether.

basically 2 the biggest fears i have are

1) losing job security

2) losing fringe benefits (unlimited vacations)

3) what my sales track record will be

4) getting another job that doesnt pay as well as what i'm getting paid right now.

what made you shift careers?

I switched careers because I burnt out in the previous career. I just quit and looked for something new. If you're trying to get into marketing then get into marketing in the career that you're in. You know the field and your reputation will help.

The pros of the old job are more than the pros of the new one. The cons listed of the new one are 6 and the old are 2.
yeah, they do.. but being burnt out from this job and thinking it's the end... doesnt feel right. It's not feeling well with me to think that i'm going to be here for the rest of my life...

I switched careers because I burnt out in the previous career. I just quit and looked for something new. If you're trying to get into marketing then get into marketing in the career that you're in. You know the field and your reputation will help.

It is in an ancillary field... meaning, say if i was a dentist, and i got tired of being a dentist, i'm going to get a job marketing for a company that does braces. i don't think it's going to be much of a change in "products" so to speak.

I'm just feeling really apprehensive about it since it's not a lateral move (one dental office to another) but rather, a completely different, two-feet jump i've to take.

Not so much a career shift but my husband and I started our own business about 24 yrs ago and about 6-7 yrs ago we started an online version of the same thing, going Canada wide. I'd never work for anyone else again, why line their pockets with money when I can make the bucks? We closed down the first biz after 22 years because we were moving and wanted a change, we still have the online biz going and it takes about half of our mornings 3-4 days a week, sometimes 5 days a week. I love working for myself and it's been a real success.

Not so much a career shift but my husband and I started our own business about 24 yrs ago and about 6-7 yrs ago we started an online version of the same thing, going Canada wide. I'd never work for anyone else again, why line their pockets with money when I can make the bucks? We closed down the first biz after 22 years because we were moving and wanted a change, we still have the online biz going and it takes about half of our mornings 3-4 days a week, sometimes 5 days a week. I love working for myself and it's been a real success.

That is awesome.

Archived