Please pray / good thought for those affected by the attack in Toronto

Sadly, it's a tragic trend of weaponizing vehicles. I live in NYC and remember very recently when the guy plowed through pedestrians in Times Square. Not at all meant as a blame of those who have died or suffered at the hands of these animals, but I strongly, strongly implore anyone, but particularly those of us in larger and more congested cities to forego the headphones and to keep the phone in your pocket while commuting, whether by car, subway, or on foot. There's enough cause to with all the congestion and construction, but now we've got to factor in these ***holes as well. Again, NOT saying any one of the victims wasn't in fact aware and diligent or that they had any say whatsoever in their fate, but I'd hate for it to make the difference for any of us. It's a conversation I had to have with my fiancee who's quite big on listening to her music while walking down Broadway.

Thoughts are with the victims and their families.

Sadly, it's a tragic trend of weaponizing vehicles. I live in NYC and remember very recently when the guy plowed through pedestrians in Times Square. Not at all meant as a blame of those who have died or suffered at the hands of these animals, but I strongly, strongly implore anyone, but particularly those of us in larger and more congested cities to forego the headphones and to keep the phone in your pocket while commuting, whether by car, subway, or on foot. There's enough cause to with all the congestion and construction, but now we've got to factor in these ***holes as well. Again, NOT saying any one of the victims wasn't in fact aware and diligent and or that they had any say whatsoever in the matter, but I'd hate for it to make the difference for any of us. It's a conversation I had to have with my fiancee who's quite big on listening to her music while walking down Broadway.

Thoughts are with the victims and their families.

Thank you J man.

I am constantly telling my son to keep headphones out and his head up.

This is so tragic, and it hits really close to home. My heart goes out to the victims families and the witnesses and first responders that have to process and live with what they saw at the scene.

I used to live at Empress and Yonge not that long ago. And one of my coworkers lives at Yonge and Finch currently, this could have happened to her.

think the police response was brilliant and the cop that arrested the man should be honored. I hope this is a wake-up call to everyone in the city, a city with a rep for being cold, where pple don't look at each other in the street. And it's true, I have lived there off and on for many years, it can be an isolating place to live. I hope this drives pple to be kinder to one another.

There is a gofundme page up for the victims families, if anyone wishes to help out

Thank you J man.

I am constantly telling my son to keep headphones out and his head up.

This is really good advice, also, if possible to walk against the traffic, that way you can potentially see what's coming and you may have a chance to get out of the way in time. Also, I try never to wait in bus shelters, because they can also be dangerously close to the road.

Unfortunately for these victims, the driver was driving southbound, and the pedestrians that were hit were also walking southbound, so they had no idea what was coming for them.

The difference between Canada and the US...20 cops didn't gun him down in a barrage of gun fire. I'm sure it took a lot of control not to. Hats off to the officers who did their job in such a horrific situation, they are true heroes. Those poor families that have to deal with the loss... I am lost for words.

You get what you pay for.

In my region at least law enforcement is terribly underpaid and because of that the quality of applicants is minuscule.

When you risk your life for minimum wage you get a lot less of the type of people willing to do it for the right reasons (to protect) and a lot more for the wrong ones (power).

Well we have had police violence issues in Toronto previously, cops fatally shooting unarmed and mentally ill individuals instead of de-escalating and arresting. So, I actually was a bit surprised that the perp was arrested and not shot by the cops.

That rarely happens. Apparently the stat is that in 97% of the cases where the police are called into a dangerous situation, they did not use any force more then what we saw yesterday.

Archived