Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: Keep an aggressive dog or not?

Bronze Member

Advice needed: Keep an aggressive dog or not?

Should I keep an aggressive dog or not? I am seeking advice from pet owners on this matter. I only want advice and recommendations and please, no personal
    attacks or I will close this thread.

I own a 9 year old mix breed (part terrier and part ?). I got her from the pound 8 years ago. They didn't have anything on her history.
    We welcomed her into our home and over time, noticed that she became very protective of me. She has anxiety and has become very
    aggressive. She has bitten my elderly father twice (requiring stitches) and has made numerous attempts at lunging at him when she feels
    he is getting to close to me. I can't bring people to the house for for fear of her attacking them. She has even attempted to bite me too.
    She is taking anxiety meds in attempts to calm her. Nothing has helped. We have changed her dosing as well. Still nothing helps.
    My father and I are not in the best of health and although we love her and she has been a part of our family and brought us joy and companionship,
    I struggle with keeping a dog with such an aggressive nature. I did think of giving her away to a family, or individual, but I feel I must be honest
    about her aggressive behavior. I would hate to find out she bit a child or anyone else.
    I have discussed this with friends and family. Some tell me to take her back to the pound (I knew what they will do there)......others, tell me to keep
    her, but confine her to a place......, give her to someone.........
    I don't know what to do. What I am sure of is I don't want to see my father endure any more bites. Both times my father was bit, he was reaching for me
    phone in one instance and my dog thought he was going to attack me!
    There you have it!
    What would you do under these same circumstances?

Platinum Member
    So I don't know much about law but where I grew up there was a one bite rule -if your dog bit someone and it was the second time you could be liable. I have been bitten and it haunted me for years and made me scared of most dogs for years - it's only recently subsided in the last number of years. I would rehome the dog but only to a family who knows his vicious propensities. I'm really glad you're not having anyone come over. Someday your dog likely will attack a maintenance person or other person who comes over and one of you forgets to put him in a locked room. I understand you love her and I think that keeping her is way too dangerous to you and others.

Can you bring her to a better veterinarian who will do a proper evaluation and give you a better second opinion? Particularly if the behavior is new or worsening. Sadly the dog is a danger to your elderly father and perhaps a huge liability if it hurts anyone else.

She has bitten my elderly father twice (requiring stitches)
    That would be enough for me to have her put down. She can no longer be trusted.

Platinum Member
    She should be put down, if you done training and meds.

It would be cruel to put her join a confined space.

I'm sorry, but this dog is a danger.

I'd research to see if I can find any reasonably located sanctuaries that might take her. Otherwise, it's no longer just about protecting you--she can't be trusted around you, either.

This could potentially be harsh so....do read on or pass....

She is not aggressive, she is very insecure and lashing out due to fear. This insecurity is due to your behavior, OP, specifically how you treat the dog and how you respond to her behaviors. I am NOT implying that you are a bad person, only that you don't really know how to respond correctly so as to build confidence in the dog. Instead, you are likely exacerbating her insecurities with the best of intentions. I hate to tell you this but you are the cause of her issues. Medication isn't going to solve this. Get a really good trainer and understand that you need the training more than the dog does. Look up Cesar Millan. If you can find a trainer who follows his methods near by it will be a life saver to all of you. In the alternative, let someone else with experience take her off your hands. Of course make sure you disclose fully all of her issues. There are also no kill shelters where she can be re-socialized and become a happy dog and live out her days peacefully. It would really be a kindness if your own health and life situation is such that this isn't working anymore or you simply cannot dedicate the necessary time to correct things. Again, that wouldn't make you a bad person, but rather a caring one.

While I love animals, how can you trust a dog that has already bitten family member?

Platinum Member
    Unfortunately, there are some dogs that are really messed up, due to earlier experiences.

A friend of mine adopted a pooch from the pound several years ago. Many aggression issues!! The dog has gone through several trainers for aggression and has done Prozac - off Prozac now, as it was affecting her health. The dog is still aggressive - better with people, but not completely stable - and is a complete psycho with other dogs. Some cannot be rehabilitated.

I grew up with dogs and am a complete dog fanatic. i do not use this advice loosely.
    Last edited by Hollyj; 04-16-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Originally Posted by DancingFool
    This could potentially be harsh so....do read on or pass....

She is not aggressive, she is very insecure and lashing out due to fear. This insecurity is due to your behavior, OP, specifically how you treat the dog and how you respond to her behaviors. I am NOT implying that you are a bad person, only that you don't really know how to respond correctly so as to build confidence in the dog. Instead, you are likely exacerbating her insecurities with the best of intentions. I hate to tell you this but you are the cause of her issues. Medication isn't going to solve this. Get a really good trainer and understand that you need the training more than the dog does. Look up Cesar Millan. If you can find a trainer who follows his methods near by it will be a life saver to all of you. In the alternative, let someone else with experience take her off your hands. Of course make sure you disclose fully all of her issues. There are also no kill shelters where she can be re-socialized and become a happy dog and live out her days peacefully. It would really be a kindness if your own health and life situation is such that this isn't working anymore or you simply cannot dedicate the necessary time to correct things. Again, that wouldn't make you a bad person, but rather a caring one.
    I so don't agree with that ^

Sue: This is not about you and you not being able to handle her. If she's been trough training, has been on meds and none of it is working she's simply and aggressive dog who can't be trained.

Don't put yourself, any children, your family or anyone else in her wake. She is 8 years old now and the best place for her (and this is coming from an animal lover) is to be put out of her misery.

The only appropriate home for her now would be where she is meant to use her aggression to keep out unwanted trespassers.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice