Hey,

I've shared a lot with different people and never had negative experiences until now. A few months ago a guy moved into my house. My landlord asked me if it was alright because I'm the only girl in a house full of guys. He is 32 so I said it would be fine. I thought, considering his age, he would be quite mature.

He moved in and initially I thought he was quite strange. He spent a lot of time in his room with a TV and didn't seem to have any life outside of that. However, his behaviour started to get stranger. He drinks a lot, probably around two bottles of spirits and day and frequently gets so drunk he falls over and cuts his face. Also, he started eating my food. Initially it was quite small amounts, but it got bigger. I talked to him about it and he denied it. One evening he started blasting music from his room. I am a teacher and I get up around six. Given that it was about midnight I asked him to turn it down. I was almost crying, but he refused and said it was his right to do it. At that stage I complained to my landlord because the situation had become intolerable. She spoke to him and he stopped. However, I've never received any apology and my other housemate, who tried to play peace maker said he refused to admit any wrongdoing.

The atmosphere in the house is awkward, especially since it's just usually the two of us. However, I'm hardly ever there so it doesn't really matter because all I want to do is cook and sleep. As long as it's quiet I don't care. Yet, this morning, a few weeks after the incident occurred he left his room and started audibly shouting things like "ing ", "ing ", "ing slag". Even though my name wasn't mentioned there was the implication it was directed at me as we were the only two in the house and he was outside my door. I feel really threatened and intimidated by his aggressive behaviour and I don't know what to do.

Sorry, but only two things are going to fix him: Rock bottom and/or incarceration.

Quietly put as many belongings as you can in your car and temporary move to family/friends house.

Look for new accommodations the same day, and don't go back without help for the remainder.

Get a lock for your door. Continue to document everything and continue to notify the landlord. Reread your lease and report every detail that he is doing which is against the lease agreement..If she keeps giving him a pat on the wrist, call the cops. In the meantime look for a new place and In Writing, explain to the landlord that your peaceful enjoyment and safety/security is threatened and that breaks the terms of your lease. Forget about trivia like eating your food, expecting apologies etc.

I complained to my landlord because the situation had become intolerable. She spoke to him and he stopped.Yet, this morning, a few weeks after the incident occurred he left his room and started audibly shouting things like "ing ", "ing ", "ing slag".

I would be super careful not only because he is loud and eating your food, but for your safety. If he is drunk he may not think straight and i am afraid it may not be safe to have a housemate like that. Can you talk to your landlord about that, perhaps even ending your contract early and look for another place if you have to? This is really not a good situation for you.

I feel really threatened and intimidated by his aggressive behaviour and I don't know what to do.

All else being irrelevant, such as an apology from a drunk, I'd tell landlord the above and follow with this statement in writing in two forms: email and certified mail.

Phone calls don't preserve proof of notification.

Until landlord acts on your notification, I'd seek a safer place to stay and contact any of the domestic violence orgs on the Internet and ask for a referral to a local counselor who can help you plan your next steps.

I'd put a lock on my door while this is going on, and I'd stay with friends or family--or ask the landlord to put you up elsewhere--until this tenant can be removed.

Should landlord claim that the guy can't be evicted (for whatever reason), I'd ask landlord for a written release from my lease and stay with someone else until you can find a room elsewhere.

Head high, and focus on safety, not details.

Archived