Slept but don’t remember sleeping?

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone has had this or knows a way to help this problem?

So I had to be up at 5am for work, I went to bed at my normal time but couldn’t sleep. It came to 1am and I was still awake. I tossed and turned and the next time I looked at my phone it was 5am. Right before my alarms were set to go off (at 5:15) and I really do not remember sleeping in that time!

I vaguely remember having thoughts which would seem like dreams and part of my “dream” was where someone in my house got up at 5am and told me if I wasn’t sleeping they would have words and I “woke” up just after that to look at my phone clock.

I do feel a little groggy but can’t tell if that’s becsuse I’m looking at my phone screen in the dark 😂 but I don’t feel exhausted like I normally do when I don’t sleep but I know that could hit me at any time.

My brain is trying to work out if I had slept. I had my phone on loud and I “woke” up to 6 emails and if I was awake I would have heard them all come through same with a text that came through, it’s confusing me a lot!

This has happened to me a few times! I have had a few days holiday off work and I slept like a baby, same when it comes to my days off but when I have to be up early for work my mind won’t switch off and situations like this happen.

Does anyone know what this is or how I can help myself feel/get a good nights rest before a long shift. It doesn’t happen all the time and there are some nights where I sleep a good solid 8 hours before work but the past 3 occasions it’s built up to this. The past two being me not falling asleep quick enough so I end up having like 5 hours sleep!

B xx

It's normal for sleep patterns change throughout your life.

Accepting that fact will help you avoid over analyzing and for paying for endless, unnecessary sleep "studies"..., that KEEP YOU UP AT NIGHT.

There are some common sense tips that should always be followed:

- Get/stay healthy.

- Sleep in the dark. No phone, tv, nightlights etc.

- Set your alarm and don't check the time again!

- Give you mind a break. Before you go to bed say to yourself: I did my best today, that's all I can do. Tomorrow's a new day.

yeh exactly the same thing happens to me every once in a while.

I assume it is sleep, but not a deep sleep or anything like that.

To keep yourself from feelings tired, just convince your brain that you did sleep,

as oppose to thinking that u didnt not sleep the whole night, it will help

you to be more productive during the day.

What's happening is that your worrying is keeping you from going into deep sleep. You are sleeping, but it's a light sleep, so you keep waking up, then drifting off to sleep, then waking up, then sleeping. As you noticed, you didn't hear the emails come in, so you were sleeping at that point. You did get some rest, but it wasn't a completely restful sleep. You can do this occasionally and feel OK, but you wouldn't want to sleep this way permanently. A lot of people with insomnia experience sleeping like this and it's not fun.

This happens to me when I’m overtired or when I’m super anxious. Good sleep hygiene helps (Black out curtains, no electronics in the room, no electronics before bed, no caffeine late in the day, no big meals or sugar right before bed) exercise, good nutrition and meditation help me as well.

Archived