Freelancing teaching books and resources

Recently, quite recently, I've been laid off from my job. This is both a blessing and curse; the former because my previous job was abominable and I'm now on the market for a new job and the latter because I'm unemployed, in debt and, as of today, late on rent. So, carrying this double-edged sword I call freedom, I'm considering doing some freelance work for the time being in between job searches. This is new to me as I've done amateur video editing, editing, writing and technical writing in the past but not professionally. So, I want to reach out the the Enotalone community for some advice and some direction so as to make sure I don't mess up my first freelance gig. So, of course, a few questions:

- Are there any books I absolutely need to read in order to make this work?

- Do you have any experience being a freelancer?

- What markets have the largest demand for writers or video editors?

- Are there any technical skills (programming languages, art programs, technical training) I should know to be marketable and competitive?

- What are the typical challenges I will face if I endeavour to be a freelance writer or video editor?

Of course, please send me a pm if there any other teaching resources I can get my hands on. If you take that route, please describe the teaching resource you've sent in the pm as I do want to avoid scamming.

Thank you all in advance.

Well, I was critical of you the other day, but I will tell you that freelancing in video is highly competitive. It varies from city to city. In Boston, for example, there were insurance companies doing training videos, universities doing in-house projects like interviews, etc., and a smattering of large companies doing in-house training and and general information videos. It usually helps if you know someone who will bring you in and vouches for you. A lot of these gigs do not want to use amateurs because they can be disruptive to the process.

For editing, you need to be familiar with various professional editing software for both Mac and PC. For writing, you need a bunch of samples to show you can do that job professionally. There are some general books about freelancing, but most of them just have some common sense stuff like dressing well and showing up on time. Be ready to put in some long hours and deal with tough, demanding clients similar to your first professional client.

But I think you would have a better chance if you find a group of people who want to crank out YouTube videos. There are people on the Internet making five, six, even seven figures making videos and they need talented people to put together their videos to get into Google's revenue streams. You need to look around Craigslist and search through the Internet for people wanting editors. Better yet, if you can figure out what people on YouTube wants to see, like cute cat videos or Top 10 lists of haunted houses, etc., you can do it yourself. If you're creative, that would be the best way.

Archived