How should I tell him I will be living with another man

Love2624

I was in transition and looking for a new place to rent, and had time between that and work to entertain a bit of romance..

Well I met a gentleman and we started dating exactly two months ago, things were progressing slowly as they normally do at first, we went on a few dates here and there, and then it turned to an every weekend thing, I met the acquaintances and friends, the sister.. then the brief nonchalant exclusive talk.. then the extra tooth brush and future plans..

Which leads me here.. between our dating and condo searching I found the perfect place!

However I will be sharing it with another male in a purely roommate bases.

Seeing that now I am in an exclusive situation-ship I feel a sense of obligation out of respect to let him know that my new roommate will be another male and am anxious about it. I need advice as to how I can approach this and break the news as soon as possible specially now he strongly insisted to help me move. I don't want to hurt his feelings or add any unnecessary complications to what is now becoming a fast developing relationship.

Had we been at this stage prior to signing my new lease I would have asked him how he felt about me sharing a flat with another guy now am afraid am in a bit of a pickle. Help please!

Well....if your roommate situation is going to break up your relationship....it's not a perfect living situation now is it?

All you can do is talk to him and ask him how he feels about it. As in I found this place that I really love, but it will involved a male roommate. What do you think?

It has been 2 months.... you don't owe him anything, really.

IF he is decent enough, he should be okay to ACCEPT what is. And trust you.

The fact is... is you are involved with HIM. Not the room mate.. and he should realize this.

So, throw it at him. Should he change on you.. then it's on him.

This is YOUR life & your choice. If things seem positive about where you are moving to, then do it.

Any trust issue's and that won't be good anyways.

Just let him know plainly. You don't need to tip-toe around it. My fiancee and I dated while I was renting an apartment with a woman. There was never a single issue. Still, some people do get insecure about that kind of thing, so it is best to get it out of the way and let him decide if it's a dealbreaker or not. If he decides it is, I'm certain you can easily find a guy who's confident in your ability to maintain boundaries in a roommate situation.

Thank you guys for your advice, that really helps put things into perspective. I agree 2 months is a bit early to feel this level of obligation and accountability to someone else for such a decision, if he's the right guy he will accept the situation as it is, respect my choice and trust that I am invested in him and only him.

Where's the extra toothbrush now? Do you live alone or is it at his place? Are you moving into this guy's place or did you know him before and decide to be roommates?

The toothbrush is at his place, I live with another female roommate at the moment, I did not know the male roommate before

Ok then all should go well and as other astute posters have already pointed out it should be a nonissue as long as you're upfront. I mean you "nonchalantly" discussed being exclusive, so mention this just as nonchalantly.

The toothbrush is at his place, I live with another female roommate at the moment, I did not know the male roommate before

Lots of advice here saying he should be ok with it, but the real world isn't ideal, so just ask yourself this: "Would I be ok with him moving in with a female roommate?"

And whatever your honest, gut answer, that you may not need to post here says, that's how he'll feel about this. You or he may say you're ok with it, but that nagging feeling in your gut will cause you problems later. If it's something that would bother you, it will bother him.

Lots of advice here saying he should be ok with it, but the real world isn't ideal, so just ask yourself this: "Would I be ok with him moving in with a female roommate?"

And whatever your honest, gut answer, that you may not need to post here says, that's how he'll feel about this. You or he may say you're ok with it, but that nagging feeling in your gut will cause you problems later. If it's something that would bother you, it will bother him.

The real world isn't ideal. But it's okay to have standards. My standards include my partners full trust. If you can't trust me not to get romantically or sexually involved with a roommate then you don't trust me very much at all.

If you can't handle your insecurities to the extent that you need to control your partner then you aren't ready to be in a relationship.

That nagging feeling? If you have it? That's yours to deal with. Those are your issues. Your insecurities. If you can't sort out what issues are yours then you aren't ready for a relationship.

The real world isn't ideal. But it's okay to have standards. My standards include my partners full trust. If you can't trust me not to get romantically or sexually involved with a roommate then you don't trust me very much at all.

If you can't handle your insecurities to the extent that you need to control your partner then you aren't ready to be in a relationship.

That nagging feeling? If you have it? That's yours to deal with. Those are your issues. Your insecurities. If you can't sort out what issues are yours then you aren't ready for a relationship.

Some people have just been burned in the past. If her (new) boyfriend has those insecurities, it's up to her if she's willing to accommodate that or not. She won't know until she has that discussion with him.

Archived