Bipolar Relapse and Recovery

Hi there

I was recently admitted into a psych ward and then a long term structured residence or an inpatient closed facility for those with mental health issues. I've been discharged, my second time of this happening to me (the first in dec 2015 and the second oct 2017) being released this time early march. My meds are vraylar, lithium and periactin. I wont list the mg unless you want to know. But my head is much clearer, better sleep...I have some sexual dysfunction (that's what the periactin is for), excessive thirst due to the lithium (salt) and depression/anxiety but my mania and delusions are gone. I'm not expecting you to know everything that has to do with bipolar. But I will say this--

I'm lonely. I'm in my 20s and live with my mom as an only child. I'm on disability. I have to go to psych rehab three days a week. And I'm looking for ideas as to how to make my life better. I do write but that's an isolated activity. I'm looking for connection and meaning, I've realized- something the mental health system does not adequately give. I found being locked away a disempowering experience and I'm disoriented from it.

I'm not saying hey, buddy up to me. What would you do with your time if you were in my shoes?

If I were you, I would try to get out of the house and go walking or hiking through the woods. Try to get out where there's people and people watch. Maybe adopt a dog and take him walking. Go sit in the sun and people watch. Take up a hobby or start a blog. Volunteer at a local non-profit. Find something to keep you busy and give you a sense of purpose.

Glad you're feeling better. The good news is that you have the whole Internet at your fingertips to research opportunities and support. I'd start small with an eventual goal of building a network of interests and activities. I'd keep my expectations for friendships in line with the idea that even the healthiest people on the planet aren't everyone's cup of tea. So consider forming light acquaintances with whom you can share your activities rather than shooting for insta-bonding. This will prevent you from putting too much pressure on others and yourself to form the kind of friendships that are rare even under the best circumstances. Respecting the limits of others builds patience and liberates you from feeling lousy about investing too much emotionally in anyone who isn't willing or able to match your investment.

What are your transportation barriers, and how can you overcome those? How willing or able is your Mom to buddy up with you on occasion to visit certain places with you to learn about them and become acclimated, or do you feel confident about breaking yourself into new situations solo?

Head high, and congrats on your healing.

Archived