Dating just over a month after break up, should I tell my date about my ex?

Guardian452

So just over a month ago, I came out of an almost 8 month relationship. I genuinely did love the girl I was with, so was pretty sad when it came to an end.

I'm pretty much over it now (not sure how it took me this quickly to move on), but while part of me may still have some feelings, I'm currently feeling that I've come to terms with things ending and I feel I'm a better person.

I ended up re downloading Tinder a few days ago, not to seriously look for anything, mind you, and I ended up matching with a girl pretty quickly. We've arranged a date for Saturday, and she seems pretty nice. I feel like I've put the past behind me now, but I don't want her to feel like a rebound or that I'm using her (which is not the case by any means). Is it worth telling her that I came out of a relationship fairly recently?

If you are over it, then there is no reason to bring it up. If you feel the need to talk about your ex and convince someone that you have moved on, then all you are doing is showing them that you in fact haven't.

Anyway, on first date, you should be focusing on the date and not on your ex's, your past, or your baggage. Your focus should really be on figuring out if you like this new person enough to ask her out again.

I wouldn't bring it up, but if she does on the first date or later on, just keep the answer brief. I'd say, "I was recently in an 8 month relationship, but we weren't right for each other."

It didn't even last a year, so it's not crazy behavior to date again after a month.

And just know it's a red flag for a person to grill you about the most minute details of your past. It's fine to find out, in general, what a person's past relationship history has been like, but just because a person asks you more details that you don't think are wise to divulge, it doesn't mean you have to answer. Have fun on your date.

Archived