Am I Overreacting?

Collegekid326

My girlfriend and I have been going through a really rough time lately and we had a talk about how I want to be with her but wish she wasn’t as controlling and respected the I want alone time and friend time. She doesn’t tell me I can’t do things, but when she gets upset if I want to do something, I don’t do it and it’s basically what I think control would be.? Anyways I know it’s healthy to have friend time and for guys to have other friends that are girls and vise versa, but this is something that she isn’t comfortable with, and I proposed the idea and she said she is willing to try and be okay with it and I’m very happy and am giving us the chance to see if it works.

However, when she asks if I’m going to be hanging out with girls all the time or want to or if I’m going to be on the lake with other girls; all with my guy friends, I said it would probably happen and I wish she’d be comfortable with it, she said she never would be because that’s just too much. Should I compromise or is that something that’s reasonable for a couple that’s been dating for a couple years? She trusts me but is insecure and uncomfortable with a lot and I just don’t want to have us go through this and be unhappy for months until we figure we should break up and go through all of these tough times again. I guess I’m really unsure where my head is at, other than I know I want to do whatever I want to do, but still want her to be comfortable but don’t know when too much is unhealthy or “not normal.”

So you want to have a normal life, friends and a healthy relationship. You are dating a girl who isn't capable of such.

Time to end things and part ways for good. Plenty of women out there will have a better attitude about having friends and a social life. You need to date those.

Your gf will be just fine too. There are people like her as well - insecure, controlling, attached at the hip, can't have friends, etc, etc, etc. She needs to find that kind of a guy and they can be happy just the two of them and no outside life. That would be suffocating and crazy making to most people, but....as long as the two people in this kind of a limited box are good with it, it works.

A case of like needs to find like.

Archived