LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a rebound relationship?

Is this a rebound relationship?

Quick facts: my ex-girlfriend dumped me in December for a new guy she'd been working with for about a month. Long story short, she'd been seeing him behind my back and in December, told me she was leaving me for him. Our relationship had been a little rocky for a couple months during this time, but we were supposedly working through it and discussing engagement when she hit me with this news.

December 7, breaks up with me, immediately leases him an apartment and moves in with him, starts telling him she loves him the first week, start talking marriage immediately, start making all their life's plans together. The new guy is a complete and total opposite from me in almost every way (homeless, no education, drug user, criminal history, no job, etc).

Considering she was seeing him while we were still together, and she left me for him and immediately entered into an extremely serious relationship with him right away, would this be a rebound? How likely to succeed?

It shouldn't really matter.

Getting worked up over what she does is just going to make it that much harder.

She dumped you for another guy and apparently had been cheating on you to some degree.

You should have nothing to do with such a trashy ex girlfriend so any chance of reconciliation would be a terrible thing for you.

Move on and stop caring.

P.S. obviously a rebound and very very unlikely to succeed. But don't either worry about that.

Gold Member
    Who cares? Ask yourself, would you want to be with a person that displayed such behavior?

Originally Posted by thealchemist
    It shouldn't really matter.

Getting worked up over what she does is just going to make it that much harder.

She dumped you for another guy and apparently had been cheating on you to some degree.

You should have nothing to do with such a trashy ex girlfriend so any chance of reconciliation would be a terrible thing for you.

Move on and stop caring.

P.S. obviously a rebound and very very unlikely to succeed. But don't either worry about that.
    Thanks! I have moved on and know not to take her back after behavior like this. The main point of this post is just to get other points of view as to whether this is actually a rebound relationship, etc.

Originally Posted by Ctk2014
    Thanks! I have moved on and know not to take her back after behavior like this. The main point of this post is just to get other points of view as to whether this is actually a rebound relationship, etc.
    Whether it is or not wouldn't matter if you have moved on.

That was my only point.

Sorry to hear this. She was seeing him for a while and cheating so he's not a rebound.
    Originally Posted by Ctk2014
    she'd been seeing him behind my back and in December, told me she was leaving me for him.

Platinum Member
    I wouldn't really consider it a rebound. In my mind, that is generally the territory of a dumpee who is desperately seeking to the fill the void left behind by an ex and will go with just about anyone to try to take away the pain. That isn't why she went to him; she was cheating and wanted to be with him - she entered a relationship with him for a reason different from most rebounders.

Now, to be clear, that's not to say her new relationship will succeed. A relationship doesn't need to be a "rebound" to fail. It doesn't appear to have the stuff of a lasting and happy union, but that is something she will likely learn the hard way.

Platinum Member
    My ex cheated and then left me for the girl he had been cheating with.

Eight years later, they're still together..

Do you hope it's a rebound?

Platinum Member
    I think it's considered a rebound if the relationship is started quickly by the person who has been dumped and is desperately searching for someone to fill the void. When they find someone else, cheat on you and then leave you for that person...not so much. Whether or not it lasts is unknown, but when you have truly moved on you won't care what happens with them...at all. Also - you posted this in "getting back together," an indicator that you haven't really moved on - but that's okay, you will get there.

Platinum Member
    Not a rebound. She is also a cheat and a liar.

I hope You don't want her back?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice