Makeup/no makeup?

Hi everyone, wanted to ask your folks opinion on something.

What do you think of women who wear makeup every day? And of those, who barely ever wear lipstick?

Does makeup mean something for you or you are against it?

That's an important question for me @ the moment, so I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Susan

Well, it's a bit of a loaded question as I've found the definition of "makeup" varies pretty heavily from woman to woman. I'd say most guys you might catch saying they prefer women who just don't wear it probably, even if unknowingly, at least appreciate a quick application of some foundation. And that's where I find myself on the sliding scale. My lady's pretty minimalist in that department and invests most her morning routine into picking out a pair of shoes rather than a shade of lipstick (which she, fortunately for me and my tastes, rarely puts on).

I admit some women can take it to a level it makes it more difficult for me to take them seriously, but, by and large, I can't say I look at women's faces on the daily and find myself having a notable opinion either way. I will say that when it's come to women who've really "wow'ed" me, it's been when they look gorgeous and confident with less rather than more.

I like it best when my wife doesn't wear any makeup. I can't stand foundation, it just looks so fake, even when people who "know what they are doing" wear it. To me at least.

She normally puts on a very small amount of mascara but that is it. Less than 60s of time for makeup.

But I honestly don't care what anyone else does. I don't even notice it unless they look like a clown.

I too prefer women with as minimal makeup as possible. And like TheAlchemist I find foundation just looks fake.

I don't tend to take women very seriously who noticably where makeup, and that includes just wearing bright lipstick or thick solid eyebrows filled with powder.

I've had partners who like to wear makeup and while I have let them know what I like or not, it's up to them what they wear. And sure, I do understand that women like to play with colours and looks etc, but would more than likely pursue a woman who doesn't wear makeup than one who does.

I like to see great make up. I just like seeing how people can transform themselves. It's a weird simple pleasure of mine. It doesn't really effect my opinion of a woman, except for wow, your make up is really cool. As for myself, I have less and less patience for make up these days. On a daily basis, I don't wear it at all. And even for going out, I am wearing it less and less. I can't stand the feel of it on my face anymore. Too bad, because I used to like playing around with it a lot.

I'm fine with it either way. Woman wants to wear makeup, she can. If she doesn't, she doesn't. Who am I to judge.

My wife wears a fair amount of makeup to work. I will confess I've told her she may want to tone down the rouge and contouring a couple times (since we're here on a anonymous forum, I think it looks quite clown-like if overdone).

She hardly ever goes out if her way to wear makeup around me unless we're doing something fancy.

I think the answer is it depends on the situation, how much is used (we talking Mimi from The Drew Carey Show?), and a person's personal preference. To each their own. Highly subjective.

I never wear make up. I don't own any. I don't think it's great to spend so much time staring into your own face and trying to fix imperfections. Because I don't wear it I think I don't really notice makeup unless it's a lot. Which I can like. People who really know what they are doing or are doing something shocking or something grand with makeup I can admire. Most of my friends who are really good at make up don't like their faces without it on. Which bums me out. It's one thing to use it as a way to express yourself... it's another to use it as a way to cover your face. I think it's a lot more important to get okay with having your own face. It's the one you are stuck with.

I get frustrated with anything that adds time or emotional energy into getting ready. I wear basically the same clothes every day so I don't have to put thought into that. I have a hair cut that I don't have to do anything with. The less time spent on my appearance the happier I am in my own skin.

Why are you asking? This should be an individual decision.

You know, I've noticed that the older I get, teh less comfortable I feel without makeup. So I keep putting more and more foundation, powder, concealer... you know.

That's why I felt I wanted to know opinion of the others. Just wanted to know, what do they think of women wearing makeup (or not wearing any).

I know that confidence is something you've got inside, not just on your face, yet I still cannot go out without at least my foundation, mascara and lipstick.

That may sound weird, though

I wear eyeliner and mascara. Sometimes I add a colored lip balm that hardly shows up. This is as much as I can tolerate before I grow impatient with the process. I used to wear nothing - this was 25 years ago. People thought I was gay (so what). Now, it must be a non-issue, because in my professional life, I find many women with no enhancements at all.

You know, I've noticed that the older I get, teh less comfortable I feel without makeup. So I keep putting more and more foundation, powder, concealer... you know.

That's why I felt I wanted to know opinion of the others. Just wanted to know, what do they think of women wearing makeup (or not wearing any).

I know that confidence is something you've got inside, not just on your face, yet I still cannot go out without at least my foundation, mascara and lipstick.

That's completely legitimate. Listen, look however you want to look, FOR YOU. Not for anybody else. If it makes you feel good, that's your business and nobody else's.

I never wear make up. I don't own any. I don't think it's great to spend so much time staring into your own face and trying to fix imperfections. Because I don't wear it I think I don't really notice makeup unless it's a lot. Which I can like. People who really know what they are doing or are doing something shocking or something grand with makeup I can admire. Most of my friends who are really good at make up don't like their faces without it on. Which bums me out. It's one thing to use it as a way to express yourself... it's another to use it as a way to cover your face. I think it's a lot more important to get okay with having your own face. It's the one you are stuck with.

I get frustrated with anything that adds time or emotional energy into getting ready. I wear basically the same clothes every day so I don't have to put thought into that. I have a hair cut that I don't have to do anything with. The less time spent on my appearance the happier I am in my own skin.

A much better explanation than mine but exactly what I was trying to convey.

I notice when eyebrows look like they were drawn on with a sharpie. I notice when foundation doesn't match skin tone. I notice orange or purplish red lipstick. I notice those huge fake lash extenders.

I only wear powder and eyeliner with Vaseline in place of mascara.

I do also notice that my friends who wear lots of makeup (foundation in particular) have horrible skin. Lots of acne and acne scars. My theory is not wearing foundation has kept my skin smooth and free from breakouts. Just like my friend who wore 4 inch heels for 15 years and now has awful hammer toes.

When you hit your early 30's your skin will change, and you may find yourself getting some blemishes/acne. But usually in a few years, just disappear. You just need to update your cleansers. I also see some multimillionaire women business owners that wear zero make-up to having funky colored highlights to your very traditional look. I find that unless you have rosacea, and even then, no one cares if you are wearing make-up or aren't. If your aren't in an industry that relies on appearances, such as acting or modeling, or the beauty/fashion industry, make-up won't get you promoted, a raise, or a business opportunity.

If your aren't in an industry that relies on appearances, such as acting or modeling, or the beauty/fashion industry, make-up won't get you promoted, a raise, or a business opportunity.

I wish that was true. But it's not. Makeup is part of looking "put together" for a lot of industries. And wearing to much makeup is seen as bad as well. Makeup can be a part of how people judge you at work and that can be a big part of getting opportunities. It sucks. It's unfair and it's mostly unconscious on the part of the people making the choices.

I work in an industry where make up is often frowned on. Women who wear it are often thought of as to "girly" for the work. Which also sucks. Makeup is just another thing that society judges people (and mostly women) about. It's awful that it works that way but saying it doesn't impact your work opportunities is naive.

I've been in the education and distribution industry for over 20 years now. Never once met a CEO, CFO, Chairperson, COO, VP, or Principal, that caked on the make-up. Unless you look beat-up all the time; make-up doesn't make you smarter or more qualified.

But that doesn't mean people don't judge you for it. And how you get places in any industry is about people's opinions. The fact that you've never met a CEO, CFO, Chairperson, COO, VP, or Principal, that caked on the make-up, is because it would be inappropriate to have that much makeup on. There is a standard in those positions about makeup (which is most likely unspoken) and you are expected to meet that standard. Makeup and their look in general is a part of why they have that job. Men deal with it too, they just don't have the added complication of makeup.

Archived